Thread: Donna Mae Mims
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Donna Mae Mims

Donna Mae was indeed probably THE key to the Yenko story... Alot of folks say she knew more about what was going on at Yenko Sportscars in the late 60s and early 70s than Don himself... such a loss, and a really a sad, sad day.

Erik and I went to Latrobe a week before SCR this year to get a chance to talk to her again, show her some old photos and ask about some details of the good old old days at Yenko, her racing career, and anything else we could think of to bend her ear about... but something came up that day and she didn't make it in, se we didn't get a chance to visit with her. While we were both very disappointed, I never realized that was the last chance we'd ever have.

Over the next few days i plan to dig into my archives and post a few neat pieces of Donna Mae history, photos, artifacts, etc. as a tribute to a great lady. Some of the stuff has probably never been seen, and I'm kinda anxious to look at it again myself. I'll never forget her smiling and laughing with Ed Lowther and Hope Yenko at SCR1, and thought o myself even back then how cool it was to get a chance to talk to these folks who were right there from the beginning. We lost Ed a few years back, and now with the passing of Donna Mae it really makes me realize how much history has been lost with the passing of these folks. RIP Donna Mae Mimms, forever the "Pink Lady" of Racing.

-JB
Attached Images