View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 11:49 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

I also disconnected the heater core. Since I only drive this car in the summer there is no need for heat. Plus, it has that Rube Goldberg automatic, hydromatic, thermostaticly controlled climate system that only allows you to pick a temperature between 65 and 80. No fan speed, No vent control. Just High, Low, Off, Vent, Defrost and De-Ice. It is annoying as hell to have the system constantly opening and closing the heater box and A/C vents to maintain a temperature. Kind of like being in the shower when someone flushes the toilet and suddenly you get scalded.

So I did a little searching on the interwebs and found that a company makes a 180 degree, 5/8" to 3/4" heater block off hose for LS engines (for $11) that was the exact radius I needed to route the heater hoses together. I then bought a couple of rubber caps for $3.

It works great. Now the GM Frigidaire, R-12-filled A/C system actually works and doesn't blow intermittent hot air to even out the temperature to an exact 65 degrees when what I want is an exact 45 degrees all the time. Too bad I can't get the fan speeds to boost in to overdrive.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 06-21-2020 at 11:54 PM.