View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,404 Posts

Here's something most people will never see done. The shop owner took in a 1969 Firebird that had been restored with a badly bent subframe and convinced the owners to buy a new "engine cradle" and he would install it. Once the subframe arrived he was a little perplexed as to how to proceed. I explained the car wasn't a complete unibody and the subframe held the entire front clip and engine in place. There was nothing to levitate the engine from, like a modern front drive car. He has been dealing with modern cars too long and forgot that. Sooooo, he dreamed up a way to suspend the engine and front clip from 2 of the towers on the frame rack and dropped the subframe out the bottom. He did all the removal work, just to prove it could be done and then handed the job over to me. Yippee, I love taking over a job someone else took apart, but I got it done. Gotta say it was a new experience. Major PITA getting the lower control arms/springs back in with the body so close to the rack. I had to compress the springs with an allthread enough to get the arms up in place and bolted in.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
dykstra (11-24-2021), markinnaples (11-29-2021), mhurd (11-24-2021)