View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 01:13 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinm View Post
Well how did Dereks car run? I should have joined just for this event
You didn't have to join, just show up...shoulda said something...

It doesn't. Turns out the PO had been in it and changed the cam to a hydraulic of unknown specs. We could get it to fire, but not start. Sounds just like a jumped timing chain to me. I kept feeding more advance in and it would "run" on the starter, but stall as soon as the key was let up.

#1 exhaust valve had a lot of play in the rocker and we thought it might have a flat lobe. I turned the nut down to remove the play to see if it would open the valve better and the valve stuck full down and the piston hit it. The spark plug was rusty when we removed it and that wasn't a good sign either.

At that point we knew we needed to remove the head, so a few of us jumped on it and had the head off in about 30 minutes only to find..... the valve head was broken off and the cylinder wall is severely broken, presumably from water in there in the past and freezing. The valve had been stuck open a long time as the seat is very rusted as well as the remaining valve stem and the whole exhaust runner.

He has several big blocks to pick from to replace it. It is a 138 car with date correct 12 bolt 3.55 posi and Muncie trans, built 3 days apart. The trans build date does not have an A or B after to determine which one it is. I don't recall if the '69 M22 would have the larger output like a TH400, but this one does not, so presuming it's an M20 or 21 with the gear ratio.
He likes the car and says he plans to keep it, but money talks with Derek.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
dustinm (03-23-2024)