View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
The info is slightly compromised by the fact that cars were not built in VIN order. While they were usually not far apart, it was possible for a body to remain in the bank for an entire shift. Remember, the last six digits of the VIN were assigned as completed bodies were received from Fisher. They were then moved to staging lanes in the body bank, based on option content.
I've always found this interesting William. I may have talked to you about this in the past on my 69 Z with a 12D build time frame on the data plate, and how the 1st ZL1 has a 12E tag, yet the serial number is about 400 units earlier than mine. In other words, my tag is a week sooner than the 1st ZL1 but about 400 units after the ZL1 according to the serial number.
We all know the 1st ZL1 was delivered at the end of December 68 too, close to new years. I think you mentioned my car according to it's serial number probably wasn't final assembled until mid to late January.

I originally figured they were on the assembly line the same day given only 400 units apart and knowing how many per day they were doing, but not sure if that is even possible knowing final assembly of mine vs when the 1st ZL1 was finished and delivered.
Something held my Z up for quite some time. Probably not the only one I'd assume. Norwood must have had a place to store cars waiting so long for final assembly?? No telling what they were waiting for. Anyway, sorry for steering off subject, it's just interesting to me.

Last edited by x33rs; 01-08-2022 at 07:52 PM.