View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 04:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,411 Times in 761 Posts

Good batteries if you can get one actually delivered in one piece. I ordered 4 during the pandemic (when none were being produced and they were rarer than plutonium).

The first one arrived from Summit Racing with just a single layer of thin display cardboard containing the 50 lb. Group 27 battery. It was shattered like a carton of eggs dropped out a second story window. The case was completely spiderwebbed and the gel was leaking everywhere. The UPS store that I get my deliveries at had to close down to clean up the toxic mess.

I called Summit and they said "never had a problem shipping those before...yada yada" BS. They happened to have another one. They shipped it the exact same way! That one was dropped on it's edge and broke off an entire corner. Got that refunded as well. They refused to let me ship it back. I had to find a place to recycle it.

I then contacted Turbostart directly and guess what...they shipped what they thought was the last one in existence the EXACT SAME WAY. It arrived with a chip off a top edge but not leaking. They refunded my money and told me I could keep it (since it was pretty much illegal to ship a leaking container of acid through the mail/UPS). I was able to use JB weld and fix the chip and then dust it with a little SEM Landau Black which matched the black rubber finish perfectly.

After several weeks of me bugging them at Turbo Start they found the last, last display model of that Group 27 battery and made sure they boxed it in four nesting cardboard boxes. It arrived safely and I installed it in the 70 Cuda.

I eventually sold the chipped/repaired one for a decent price.

Basically my caveat is the DEMAND they triple pack the battery and tell them you will pay extra for extra packaging. Otherwise you are wasting your time ordering one from any of the mail order outfits. Try and get it, in-person, at a swap meet or car show instead. That was the one depressing statement I got from the boss at Turbostart. He said their business suffers from a nearly 50% breakage in shipping ratio and there's nothing he can do about it. Hell yeah there is: package it inside styrofoam and extra boxes like a television! DUH!

Last edited by njsteve; 03-09-2024 at 12:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-08-2024), X66 714 (03-08-2024)