Thread: Muncie issue
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2023, 11:50 PM

I'm tackling the starter bolt situation now and I've read that the GM 12338064/Dorman 678-107 bolt is the solution for "mini" starters since the bolt has a 10mm shank and knurl for the starter, and a smaller 3/8" knurl for the block so that it locates correctly. I will say that the knurling on the new bolt definitely provides a much tighter fit on the starter but, it appears that the bolt is sticking too far out of the starter, especially the larger knurling that engages the starter. I ran one of the bolts up by hand through the starter, into the block, and it stopped about 1/4"-5/16" before the machined face of the starter would contact the block. I do not want to damage the block by using the wrong bolt. I took some pictures of the bolt as it is installed in the starter and various other dimensions. Have any of you guys ran into this? Ideas? Should I junk this starter and get a GM type mini starter for a early 90s Corvette? It had a 153 tooth flywheel like my car does.

*under head bolt length- 4.31"
*knurl diameter on bolt for starter- .398"
*knurl diameter on bolt for block- .371"
*distance from machined face of starter to end of knurl for block engagement- .378"
*thickness of starter flange- 3.110"
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy; 10-14-2023 at 11:53 PM.