View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 09:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I had my 2019 Shelby GT-S paint corrected, wrapped with paint protection film (PPF) and finished with 2 coats of bake on ceramic coating. Cost a bundle, but I clean it with Chemical Guys' Quick Detailer and a microfiber cloth. Takes 5 minutes to do the entire car. I sprung for the PPF because I drive it, and want to protect from road chips. The PPF is some sort of urethane, and is tough as nails. Claims to be self healing, but I don't get that, since it has ceramic coating on top of the PPF.
I actually wash it about every 6-8 weeks, and the wash mitten glides over the surface. The 10" wide wheels are a royal PITA to clean, and accounts for 3/4 of the time to wash and dry the car. i clean and protect the convertible top twice a year.
I think Canuck is on to something when he says: "It could be the quality of the paint, no sure how rough a Hyundai paint job is compared to BMW or MB." After all, it is a Hyundai. Their quality has improved exponentially since the 90s, but still...

I am afraid to ask about the cost of PPF installation. I am certain that is the best course of action IF money were no object. After rebates and dealer discount (we bought it pre pandemic panic (PPP) so we only paid $17k for the car. I plan to drive it AT LEAST until the hybrid battery expires (normally 10 - 12 years) as it is the LAST YEAR Hyundai warrants the hybrid battery for the life of the car to the original purchaser. So, maybe PPF is worth it in the long run, given what a pain it is to keep clean. But, I don't want to double my investment in the vehicle. I can just see it getting totaled and then arguing with the insurance company over the true value. It's one thing to be upside down in a classic, quite another in a daily driver Hyundai.

So, about how expensive was that on your Shelby? And did you have it applied around edges, or does each piece terminate about 1/8 inch from the edge? Any issues with lifting?

Last edited by Lynn; 09-02-2023 at 02:00 AM.