View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Story #3 (not quite a tow rig story, but related):

It was the last day of work before Christmas, in the late 1990's timeframe. I left work early to run up to the Case/IH dealer to get some parts for my Farmall. I was northbound on I-75, about to make the transition onto westbound I-69 (in Flint, Michigan) when this blue Chevy crew cab dually kind of eases past me on the right. I noticed it had Illinois plates, and I also noticed it said "Leased to Simpson Motorsports" on the side. That seemed kind of familiar, and as it went by I thought to myself "gee, the guy driving that looks like Arnie Beswick"...

Just about the time he gets straightened out in front of me, this huge tarp/blanket blows off the back of the truck (...scares the daylights outta' me!) and off into the median, revealing this HUGE pro mod type motor with tiger stripes on the valvecovers!

We both roll down the road a little ways when the pickup pulls off to the right, and I follow. The driver hops out of his truck and we meet there on the shoulder, I stick my hand out and say "You lost your tarp, Arnie".. He gets this look on his face, that he always gets when he sees me or my dad, like "...I know you from somewhere..". So we exchanged our usual introductions and then start deciding what to do about the tarp, which is far enough back down the roadway that we can't see it. I suggest that I am going to a tractor store, and he could follow me there and buy another, but he decides since the weather looks good he'll just make a run for it. We say our good bye's and off we go, each in our separate directions.

Well....after I bought my tractor parts I headed back home and....guess what...the tarp is still laying in the median. I stopped and grabbed it, threw it in the back of my truck. Then, when I went to Norwalk that next August, I brought it with me and gave it back to him. We had a good laugh about that, and I suppose if you asked him about it he would still remember...

For those who don't know, Arnie used to have a lot of work done at Diamond Collision, in Flint. He had retrieved the motor from the car to have it freshened up and left the car there for some additional work.

K
All great stories Keith. Thanks for sharing!