View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,037 Times in 417 Posts

I spoke with Jim Swan of Motor Sports Research 20 years ago regarding his name being shown as a driver for a '67 Z-28 at the 1967 Sebring Trans-Am race. Motor Sports Research was the entrant and the car was declared a no-show. I asked him what happened. He said he spoke with Vince Piggins prior to the start of the season and told him he wanted to race a Z-28. Vince suggested to Jim that he contact Don Yenko and have Don build him one of their Stormer race cars, so that's what he did. Jim said he put money down and Don was supposed to be building him a white one. The car is shown in the entry lists as white and car #10. Jim said he was expecting the car to be there in time for the Sebring race at the end of March. He flew down and there was a blue car with Yenko sponsorship for Jerry Thompson to drive and a red one for Bud Gates to drive but no white car. Jim was furious and to my recollection did not get a satisfactory response as to why his car wasn't there so he backed out of the deal and never got his car through Yenko. A couple of months later, he did get a white '67 Z-28 from Jack Douglass and the car was disassembled to become a race car. Due to a variety of factors it was not completed until two years later when it was sold to Warren Fairbanks and two friends. I know that one of the Yenko salesmen or mechanics was trying to buy a partially disassembled white '67 Z and Frank Yenko wouldn't give him a good enough price so he bought a Mustang instead, mostly just to irritate Frank.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1967Z28 For This Useful Post:
1stGenFan (04-26-2021), dykstra (04-28-2021), markinnaples (04-26-2021), PeteLeathersac (04-26-2021)