View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 01:26 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,412 Times in 762 Posts

I was rummaging through my 40 year old boxes of shrapnel and found two original 'cuda340 emblems. They were kind of faded but the chrome was excellent. So I soaked them in lacquer thinner overnight and used a brass bristle toothbrush to remove the paint residue. I then sprayed the with flat black and used a small rag with some reducer on it to wipe away the black off the face of the emblems.

The interesting fact is that original shaker hood emblems have three mounting prongs, while standard steel hood emblems have only two prongs. Since the odds of finding a real three pronged shaker 340cuda emblem are about as likely as me finding another hemicuda ragtop in my garage that I forgot to sell really cheap decades ago, I decided to use the two pronged emblems since they cover the middle prong anyway. This way only my hairdresser will know for sure.

Here's a comparison of an original three-pronged shaker hood 'cuda440-6 emblem next to the 'cuda340 emblems (after I did the blackout treatment).

After the blackout dried, I used some thinned out FE5 Rallye Red enamel (the same stuff I brushed on the brake drums) in a paint syringe bottle I got off of amazon. That worked great. I just let the syringe fill the channel with red paint, waited til it dried a little and then wiped it off the raised chrome edge with some reducer and a paper towel. I then cleared over the entire emblem.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 09-09-2020 at 01:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
SS427 (09-14-2020)