View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 06:10 PM

Default Fuel Gauge Follow up question; Formula

I have finished the tank and sending unit and fuel pump replacement, all is good. Put about fifteen gallons in and put 100 miles on the Pontiac this week end, ran flawlessly. Getting new tires this week and replacing the bumpy riding 25 year old uniroyals (I kept the speed down this week end). All that is good.
My issue is the fuel gauge is still not registering despite my best efforts. Does not appear to be a fuse issue, I have power to the trunk that connects to the sending unit.
The gauge does not move or change position regardless of key position, seems to be dead well below the empty mark, like it is getting nothing in terms of power. I recall that a bad sending unit will cause it to pin EMPTY when the key is turned though it is not doing anything. At this point, I am inclined to think it is the gauge itself. Anyone chime in on this? I have checked the wiring to the top of the tank and the ground, it is all in tact.
What am I missing? Does not look too bad to get the bezel off but before I go to the trouble wanted to see if there was any way to test this? Can I send power back to the gauge from the trunk connection to determine if it is the gauge?
Thanks as always, appreciate all that has been shared from everyone.
Scott.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...