View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban617 View Post
I know on my 69 big block Nova with 2 1/8 Hooker super comp headers .. I had heat soak issues with the starter & installed a ford starter relay & it definitely helped , also didn’t have any other wires to mess with just a jumper to the solenoid & cable ...
I'm sure mine was heat soak, but I'm pretty surprised. I have plenty of clearance between the headers and the starter and the headers are ceramic coated. Here's a pic.
I went to install the OE GM starter this morning and I realized it only had two posts. They don't have the "R" post anymore for the points distributor. The mini starters are the same. Now I'll have to do a little re-wire because I have the "R" wire triggering a relay to power my Pertronix III unit. I thought about going the Ford relay route, but I'd rather not add anything more if I don't have to. I have one sitting on my bench, but when it comes to my 69, less is more.
I did end up ordering one of those $36. GM starters McCune suggested. How can you beat that? It even includes shipping. It's a reman, but I'm alright with that even though the one I just pulled out was an AC Delco reman. In the last few years, anything I've touched that had AC Delco on it turns to crap. I'm done with them. It's just a name now. No quality from what I can see.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66