View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
The Oldsmobile's @ MCACN did not disappoint this year. There were many excellent examples.

The Burgundy mist convertible was first restored by a Chicago area Olds guy in the late 1980 early '90s. It had no paperwork to establish its claimed W-30 pedigree way back then.

The Blue '71 W-30 featured a reproduction trim tag and a restsmped engine. The VIN does match a known authentic W-30, which I had inspected when in the hands of the original owner some years back.

Both of theses olds convertibles looked spectacular.

Stefano – Yes, I heard the same about both cars. It just shows how truly rare fully documented and bulletproof cars are today. With the advent of all the fraudulent paperwork (aged window stickers, order sheets – broadcast cards etc.) being produced now which can fool even the most astute experts - it will become an extremely difficult if not impossible proposition to completely document these cars unless produced in Canada. There are still some of the old timers (Ed Van Dril - Phil Renouf) in the area that remember these cars but again they are just going from memory as to which were authentic cars.

From what I understand the Burgundy mist car also may not have started out originally as a four-speed car but was later converted to one. However, it is believed to be a real W-30 car. The Illinois owner of the car said he was not looking to sell the car but was planning to just drive and enjoy it. He has a large collection of thirty various Muscle cars including the 1967 Impala SS also restored by Troy Thornton. Troy said he could and would not verify that the Burgundy mist car was an authentic W-30 although he believed it to be.

The Viking Blue 1971 W-30 trim tag was switched with another car some time ago by a Chicago Car broker. They apparently tried to speak with the current owner of the car which sports the legitimate trim tag - They are hoping to switch it to the Viking Blue car from where the legitimate tag originated but were unsuccessful in resolving the issue. So that is going to be a tough problem to solve. I feel for the owner of the Viking Blue car.

Even though both of these cars have questionable histories they remain beautiful restorations and examples of Oldsmobile Muscle.

Last edited by HO455; 12-04-2017 at 05:00 AM.