View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Grumpy's Toy Camaro's

Neither the 68 or 69 car have been found.There is some history on both cars into the early 70's,but the trails go cold.One real problem is that most old race cars were hacked into tube chassis cars back in the late 70's or early 80's back for anybody thought they would be worth much.Once the VIN numbers and chassis are gone most people stop talking about it as the "former so and so" car.And it just vanishes until somebody accidentially spills some good info into the right ears.Most of the racers dont think of these cars like we do.Some old timers might just quip without reservation that a car started life as a famous race car and think that there was no point in mentioning it anymore since the car has been cut up way beyond any hope of restoration.To racers,they would never think of a car being a restored example if it is just the original roofskin and rockers attached to a new body and chassis.We may drool over finding and restoring such a car,but to a racer such a car was gone decades ago when the body was reduced to just a few of the original panels and most of it went in the dumpster.You will need a LOT of documentation to locate the remains of almost any vintage race car.To find any early 70's race car of fame with an entire original body and chassis and credible paperwork would be a gold mine.If either the 68 or 69 Jenkins cars were found with most of the original body and subframe intact and it were restored properly,either one could be a contender for the most valuable muscle car of all time.I race the tracks in the Northeast every weekend from March thru October and I look over so many 1st and 2nd gen camaro race cars for clues,but there are so many "possibles" with too few "probables" to ever make it worthwhile to investigate the good ones.