The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   VIN check vendor (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173592)

Too Many Projects 11-03-2022 10:26 PM

VIN check vendor

The title to my '70SS Chevelle has all the option codes from the trim tag as the registered VIN number. It came this way to me and transferred into my name with no issues. I would like to have the real vin run to be certain there are no skeletons in the closet before I take it to my DMV/State Police/Inspections to get this changed to reflect the actual vin on the dash.
I did run both the trim tag "vin" and the actual vin thru the free, online NICB checker and they both came back clean, but I assume there is a more thorough check that can be made.
Does anyone have a good source to have a verifiable check done on the actual vin ?

Thanks
Mitch

Too Many Projects 11-04-2022 12:07 PM

This car was delivered new to Jim Fuller Chevrolet of Corning NY. It was White with Black vinyl top and Black bucket, non-console interior. Anyone remembering a similar 1970 SS 396/350, 4 speed Chevelle with info would be helpful too.

useless tony 11-04-2022 05:14 PM

It sounds like you are saying you registered your '70 Chevelle using the paperwork (title) from a different '70 Chevelle.

This could get messy ...

I wish you the best of luck.

Too Many Projects 11-04-2022 06:37 PM

No, that's not what I said at all. Someone in the past applied for the title using the rpo codes on the trim/cowl tag, instead of the digits on the vin tag.
The title matches the rpo codes on the cowl tag. Unfortunately, that isn't the vin number, which is on the vin tag at the base of the windshield.

dustinm 11-04-2022 07:15 PM

Well Mitch, in my state that would prove to be very difficult as the people we have to deal with on these types of issues have no common sense. I hope it goes smoothly for you, more than it did when I bought a trailer missing 1 number - MI left off the very first 0 of the VIN which didnt even matter with the actual number sequence. 5 appointments later I had a usable title

useless tony 11-04-2022 09:49 PM

Wow, that is odd ... I was close though. You have a car and you have an ownership that does not match the vin on your car.

I'll stand by my "this could get messy" comment though ...

Too Many Projects 11-04-2022 11:54 PM

I know, since the real vin comes back as clean, I'm tempted to just leave it alone, but it needs a complete restoration and I'm very hesitant to sink 10's of thousands of dollars in it with a messed up title.

My local DMV said to take pics of the 2 tags on the car and a pencil highlight of the actual vin sequence. I tried to do that yesterday, but I can't really get a good position to get at it with the windshield in the car. I was, also, standing on the balls of my feet on the edge of the 4 post lift ramp, 7 feet off the concrete floor, which doesn't encourage a lot of confidence for reaching inside much...:tongue:
I'll try again this weekend by opening the door and sneaking inside so I can at least not feel like I'm going to fall.

John Brown 11-05-2022 12:20 AM

Carbon paper?

Too Many Projects 11-05-2022 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Brown (Post 1604581)
Carbon paper?

Hmmm....good idea. I'll have to see if I have any. I had some sheets when I was self employed, but that ended 10 yrs ago. If they are still around, they are probably all dried out...:hmmm:

Lynn 11-05-2022 03:28 AM

I am so sorry that you have to deal with such an oddball situation.

My fear for you is that a moron civil servant in the bureaucracy will make some call on this that is just off the wall.

Is it already a Wisconsin title? Did you buy it from in state? If so, you may be able to get some history on it and determine when the car registration got changed from the real vin to a goofy derivative of option codes as the vin.

Have you checked to see that the vin plate matches any hidden partial vin? Leave no stone unturned and dig up all the info you can. The biggest problem is that there aren't likely any current employees old enough to remember vin rules from 50 plus years ago. I had a worker tell me there was something wrong with my title on my 69 Z/28 because it didn't have 17 digits.

I don't blame you for being cautious. I doubt you could be overly cautious in this situation.