The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Ebay seller question. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165158)

BLACKLS5 01-17-2021 02:09 PM

Ebay seller question.

I've had 2 messages from ebay saying I need to update my information and put my bank information on file because PayPal is no longer going to be the exclusive payment method. I read through the info on the Ebay homepage and my understanding is that they want sellers to continue to ship items promptly even though your money may not show up in your account for 3-4 working days? Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure that's in the best interest of the seller. What if you ship it and the money never shows up? Is this just a scare tactic? Can I continue selling without giving them my bank info? Of course Ebay makes it sound like it's going to be much simpler and faster for everyone involved.

Thoughts or clarification from someone more familiar? Thanks

Tidmack 01-17-2021 02:22 PM

I just made the switch to managed payment through eBay. In short, we don't have a choice. Payment is still made prior to shipping, but is in eBay escrow, per se, and available for transfer to your bank account on file within 24-48 hours. I agree that not having instant access to the money is lame. At least with PayPal, even if I didn't request a transfer of funds into my bank account, I can still use the money in my PayPal account for other retail or person to person purchases.

As a seller on eBay since 1998, I'm with you, I am not super excited. BUT, I believe the system is safe, and if the goal is to have the money in your bank account, the total amount of time to get it there seems to be about a day longer than before.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jeff

BLACKLS5 01-18-2021 12:18 AM

Yes, It does. Thanks

Bill Pritchard 01-18-2021 12:34 AM

eBay is slowly but surely moving away from a place where the average Joe can sell an item or two occasionally, to a place that's more business-oriented. Probably won't be long before you have to wait 30 to 60 days to get your money for things you choose to sell on there, like businesses that take credit cards. And, I can't believe that PayPal is still allowing this fee-free "Friends & Family" money transfer business....wonder when that's going to screech to a halt?

1crossram 01-18-2021 04:48 AM

Ebay/Paypal

I am located in Canada and buy lots of parts from the USA. Paypal will not allow me to have a USD Paypal account despite me having a USD bank account in Canada. Paypal wants to make huge conversion fees if I move money in or out of the Paypal account. Bothers me to the point that I'd rather buy a part some other way.

L78_Nova 01-18-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1532392)
eBay is slowly but surely moving away from a place where the average Joe can sell an item or two occasionally, to a place that's more business-oriented. Probably won't be long before you have to wait 30 to 60 days to get your money for things you choose to sell on there, like businesses that take credit cards. And, I can't believe that PayPal is still allowing this fee-free "Friends & Family" money transfer business....wonder when that's going to screech to a halt?

For Friends and Family they charge the sender the fee !

BLACKLS5 01-19-2021 11:49 AM

It looks like they may have raised their fees, so it's probably not the money saver Ebay would like you to think. Should we have expected anything less?

Bill Pritchard 01-22-2021 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L78_Nova (Post 1532453)
For Friends and Family they charge the sender the fee !

I've purchased several things (mostly from this site) using the PP F&F feature and have never been charged a fee.

Mr70 01-22-2021 12:34 AM

If you pay as F/F through a Bank checking account,Paypal won't charge any fee,and you as a Buyer have no retaliation if the deal goes sour.
But if you pay as F/F with a credit card,paypal charges a fee,because the CC company will easily give you a refund if the deal goes sour & you have a strong case,and they charge paypal in the process too.
Paypal HATES the credit card companies.

Starship 01-23-2021 01:33 PM

eBay

I changed the "handlining time" on my auctions from 2 days to 4 or 5. I wouldn't ship anything until I have access to my money, regardless of what eBay wants. BLACKLS5, eBay has NEVER been " in the best interest of the seller".