The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Correct looking exhaust tips 70-72 Corvette (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177534)

Lynn 12-12-2023 02:27 AM

Correct looking exhaust tips 70-72 Corvette

Questions for C3 Corvette Gurus.

Thinking about Tony's Kustom Headers and sidepipes for my 70 LT-1.

Also considering going back with an original style exhaust system, sans smog. I have the correct exhaust manifolds, but NOTHING else in the exhaust is correct. Checked with Eric Gardner (site sponsor) about a correct looking exhaust system to include the swaged ends on the downpipes.

Gardner has everything EXCEPT exhaust tips. He said he was not aware of ANY correct aftermarket tips available.

Apparently the originals are chromed steel. Repops are stainless, which will obviously last longer.

1. Does ANYONE make the correct tips?
2. If not, does anyone make correct LOOKING tips.
3. If I go with sidepipes, what do I do with the two cutouts in the rear panel? Bill S, what did you do? Seems it would look a bit weird with the unused cutouts.

Lynn 12-12-2023 02:47 AM

It turns out my car DOES have the original tips, complete with the part numbers stamped in them. They aren't even in bad shape, and will polish up well I believe.

BUT I am wondering if they are correct of LT-1. Wouldn't the LT-1 and big block tips have 2.5 inch pipes? These look like 2 inch pipes. Hmm. Need to get the numbers off of them and make certain.

napa68 12-12-2023 03:50 AM

They are the same.....2"

Lynn 12-12-2023 12:40 PM

Very cool. Then I have a decent set of originals.

napa68 12-12-2023 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one the tips from my 70 FWIW.....

olredalert 12-12-2023 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1639840)
Questions for C3 Corvette Gurus.

Thinking about Tony's Kustom Headers and sidepipes for my 70 LT-1.

Also considering going back with an original style exhaust system, sans smog. I have the correct exhaust manifolds, but NOTHING else in the exhaust is correct. Checked with Eric Gardner (site sponsor) about a correct looking exhaust system to include the swaged ends on the downpipes.

Gardner has everything EXCEPT exhaust tips. He said he was not aware of ANY correct aftermarket tips available.

Apparently the originals are chromed steel. Repops are stainless, which will obviously last longer.

1. Does ANYONE make the correct tips?
2. If not, does anyone make correct LOOKING tips.
3. If I go with sidepipes, what do I do with the two cutouts in the rear panel? Bill S, what did you do? Seems it would look a bit weird with the unused cutouts.

----Don't do what I did, Lynn. Just had the holes fiberglassed over when I changed the color from yellow to a custom maroon.....Bill S

Starship 12-16-2023 12:32 PM

A couple of points here.

Tips with part numbers stamped into them are service replacements, not originals.

The photo that NAPA68 posted is the correct one for 1970 ONLY. 1971 (give or take a few possible cars) and 1972 tips would also have a welded seam down the center of the bottom surface along with the welding around the rear perimeter. And no part numbers.

Lynn 12-16-2023 03:56 PM

That makes sense that mine are service replacements. No rust. I know the car was painted (poorly) in 1984, then put in storage shortly thereafter. So, the PO likely put new tips on at that time.