The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Do you miss it? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168828)

SS4Real 09-13-2021 03:50 PM

Do you miss it?

1 Attachment(s)
Now that my '70 LS5 has gone to a new home, I will be starting a search for my next car. Do you ever miss your first car and try to find another? My '79 Trans Am that I bought brand new when I was a senior at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. We flew out and picked them up at the factory and then drove back.

PeteLeathersac 09-13-2021 05:29 PM

'

Cool pic and story, how many of you flew out/drove away then?:flag:
Is your Original car just MIA and possibly still existing or known dead/gone/scrapped?
:beers:
~ Pete

SS4Real 09-13-2021 05:57 PM

About 150 of us flew out and picked them up at the factory in Pontiac, MI. We flew out right after finals ended our 2nd class year (juniors) as only First Class cadets (seniors) were allowed to have cars back then. We were met at the airport by a fleet of luxury buses and then driven to the factory where a marching band played the Air Force song and we had lunch at the corporate HQ. We were so excited we could barely eat lunch. After a few corporate speakers, we ran out to the storage lot where the cars were lined up in formation. We all drove back together in small packs. 150 college seniors with brand new Trans Am's or Formula's. They had banners all over the place that welcomed us. Truly a cool time in my life. There was even a plane flying over with a 'Welcome USAFA Cadets" banner flying over. That was an annual tradition back then.

The car is long since gone, no idea were it is today. Most of us put in aftermarket radios back then as the factory units were lousy. Pioneer Super Tuners and Jensen 6 x 9's were the hot ticket. Mine was the 403 Olds engine with an automatic as you could no longer get the Pontiac 400/4 speed due to emissions changes. Still, a great highway car.

Crush 09-13-2021 05:58 PM

Cool story!

Xplantdad 09-13-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Real (Post 1563050)
About 150 of us flew out and picked them up at the factory in Pontiac, MI. We flew out right after finals ended our 2nd class year (juniors) as only First Class cadets (seniors) were allowed to have cars back then. We were met at the airport by a fleet of luxury buses and then driven to the factory where a marching band played the Air Force song and we had lunch at the corporate HQ. We were so excited we could barely eat lunch. After a few corporate speakers, we ran out to the storage lot where the cars were lined up in formation. We all drove back together in small packs. 150 college seniors with brand new Trans Am's or Formula's. They had banners all over the place that welcomed us. Truly a cool time in my life. There was even a plane flying over with a 'Welcome USAFA Cadets" banner flying over. That was an annual tradition back then.

The car is long since gone, no idea were it is today. Most of us put in aftermarket radios back then as the factory units were lousy. Pioneer Super Tuners and Jensen 6 x 9's were the hot ticket. Mine was the 403 Olds engine with an automatic as you could no longer get the Pontiac 400/4 speed due to emissions changes. Still, a great highway car.

Way cool, thanks for sharing!:worship:

Jonesy 09-13-2021 06:23 PM

Great story. Would be cool to find your original car. You just never know.

Pro Stock John 09-13-2021 06:30 PM

I have wanted to track down a '64 GTO I had in 1986, it was a former drag car. The trail is cold, I never saved the VINs of cars I had back then. I heard it's in Oak Park IL.

Xplantdad 09-13-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1563055)
I have wanted to track down a '64 GTO I had in 1986, it was a former drag car. The trail is cold, I never saved the VINs of cars I had back then. I heard it's in Oak Park IL.

Put an ad On Craigslist for Oak Park? :hmmm:

Postsedan 09-13-2021 07:41 PM

Great Story :)

I am very fortunate to still own my original car.....I have owned it since 1978.

Dan

67since67 09-13-2021 08:33 PM

Cool story! I am fortunate to have attended an AF Academy Graduation, great experience, and thank you for your service!! :flag:

I am fortunate to still have my first car, '67, since '67.

Bill W