The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   My new L78 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74194)

Zedder 08-21-2003 03:42 AM

My new L78

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pics of the '67 L78 Camaro that I just purchased. I'm still filling in the details on its history (I've spoken to all owners except the fellow who owned it between '71 and '72) and will post the entire story on my web site in a few days. It appears that the mileage is correct at 34,000 orig. and all of the original components are still there except for the carb and shifter (I have a lead on the carb thanks to owner number 3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img] ). It's had one repaint in the early '70's but the jambs and trunk are still original paint and they added the chrome trim and a variation of the correct nose stripe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] My buddy who looked at the car for me said he can't believe how hard the car pulls with those 4.10 gears! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Zedder 08-21-2003 03:47 AM

Re: My new L78

1 Attachment(s)
Interior

Zedder 08-21-2003 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Engine

Zedder 08-21-2003 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tailpan...Hicks Chevrolet, Decatur, Alabama...

JChlupsa 08-21-2003 04:01 AM

Mark, Thats a LOT of <font color="red"> RED </font> very nice car.

JoeG 08-21-2003 04:03 AM

Zedder,
Real pretty,
Always liked those early camaros [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]----JoeG--Congrats

Born30YrsLate 08-21-2003 04:16 AM

That's a beauty you got there, especially the color (I'm partial to red myself)........something I wouldn't mind having......congrats..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

68z302 08-21-2003 04:20 AM

Zedder,
The red on red is sharp!
Nice ride [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

ORIGLS6 08-21-2003 04:33 AM

Mark,
Very COOL. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I love the wheel combo too. Sure would look nice with red stripes to complete the <font color="red">RED </font> theme!!!

JoeG 08-21-2003 04:44 AM

ORIGLS6,
It's funny you mentioned red-lines--I was just looking at a Chevy Ad for a 68'Camaro--same color scheme as Zedders with red lines---Looked Sharp----JoeG

Denis 08-21-2003 06:09 AM

Mark:

What a beautiful automobile. I can't imagine a more perfect car for cruise night. (Well, maybe a ragtop but it does get kind of chilly up Toronto-way). Congratulations. Also, very very <font color="red">red</font>. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Turbo_Jet 08-21-2003 11:16 AM

That's one fine '67! I can't wait to hear the story on it... Dan [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

mmcporter 08-21-2003 01:44 PM

Congrats on the new purchase. The car really has "the look." Enjoy it.

budnate 08-21-2003 02:18 PM

NICE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img], tough to beat low milage cars,

Zedder one of the members here restores and sells the shift linkage. I talked with him awhile back but I dont recall who it was??, maybe they will speak up, he had real nice complete stuff and I was wanting just the chrome handle.

Bud.

Zedder 08-21-2003 04:41 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the positive comments. Yeah, it's pretty Red! Funny thing is that my wife and I have a running joke about Red cars...it seems that every nice car I find is RED! And to be honest, there are a lot of other colors that I like a whole lot better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So when I said my usual, "Honey, you should see this car. I really think we should buy it" routine, she immediatley said, "Let me guess...it's Red isn't it?". But I have to admit that the Red on Red does get my juices flowing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Now, if I could just get my old Red on Red '67 RS Z-28 back I'd have a matching pair [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Denis...you hit the nail on the head with the cruise night car comment. We're detailing the engine bay and making sure all of the mechanical issues are sound since it has not been used in a very long time(like u-joints etc. - after seeing your dyno mishap I am absolutley paraniod now). We'll also fix up some of the interior problems and throw on a set of Red lines. Next comes child seats for my two kids and it's off to the cruises we go!

Bud or anyone, what is the going rate for a nice '67 Muncie shifter these days? Thanks,

MosportGreen66 08-21-2003 06:14 PM

Zedder,

Where on earth did you find this car? Please tell me it was sitting inside a garage for the last 30 years [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

NICE car.

68z302 08-21-2003 06:34 PM

Mark,
I'd say your looking at about $350 for a nice one without shifting rods.
I don't know if your existing shifting rods would work or not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

current on ebay
This shifter is identical to the one in my car so it should be the sme as what you need. The high performance muncie shifter handle would have a "T" stamped at the bottom of the handle.
]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2428704622&amp;cat egory=33736[/url]
It's missing some parts.

not sold from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33736
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2419234095 (price went up?)
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

budnate 08-21-2003 10:25 PM

mark,
I have to get back to work but do a search under stuff for sale, he was selling a 69 Camaro 3spd with linkage, early this spring, I contacted him about the linkage and found out he was restoring the other stuff in our conversation, I want to say he had a nice looking complete setup for $350.00.

Gotta run, Bud.

Mr70 08-21-2003 11:23 PM

I do like Red/Red L78 Chevys... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Zedder 08-22-2003 03:20 AM

Thanks for the comments and shifter pricing guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Mosport, I hunted high and low and from state to state trying to find that car. I ended up having to bribe an ex-GM executive so he would let me into the secret hidden archives at GM to search through the records to find a Red on Red L78. Then I broke into the National DMV records to find out who owned the car. Then...OK, OK...I found the car on ebay [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

NEW 08-22-2003 06:47 AM

Hi

Is this the car that Camaro Specialities had?

NEW

mc25t190 08-22-2003 10:56 AM

i am partial to these myself, i have a red w/ black interior ss/rs L78 camaro , original sheet metal 67 camaro. yours is beautiful. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif[/img]

drdave69 08-22-2003 11:27 AM

mc25t190, where did you find your red/black '67 SS/RS L78? The reason I ask is a good friend of mine sold one (red/black vinyl top/black int) back in the late '80s. He had it for many years and I had the opportunity to ride shotgun a few times. To this day, that is the quickest street car I have ever been in [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif[/img] .

1967Z28 08-22-2003 02:38 PM

Awesome car, Mark. Congratulations on the purchase. You should have a lot of fun with that one.

-Jon

P.S. It needs some red floor mats. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1967 Z28 street car
1967 Z28 Trans Am race car
1967 Z28 Registry

mc25t190 08-22-2003 04:03 PM

a friend in virginia, formerly a tennessee car, no black vinyl top though!

Zedder 08-22-2003 04:45 PM

Thanks again guys, you're too kind!

New: No, that car was Black and to be honest I had considered buying it from Bob, but at that time we had a Union come into one of my plants and I couldn't get away to look at it. It did seem like a very nice car though - Black on Black RS/SS with tach and gauges.

Jon: Yes, we've got a few things to correct - like replacing those awful red heater hoses [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

DrDave: My buddy who drove the car said he couldn't believe how hard the car pulled and this was after it has basically just sat there for who knows how many years! I am waiting to hear back from the Son of the first owner who raced the car the few times it was out to confirm times etc., but his father said it did 13.0 in the quarter and 9.0 in the 1/8 consistently. I wonder what it would do with Pete or Rob tweeking it a little [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

MosportGreen66 08-22-2003 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments and shifter pricing guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Mosport, I hunted high and low and from state to state trying to find that car. I ended up having to bribe an ex-GM executive so he would let me into the secret hidden archives at GM to search through the records to find a Red on Red L78. Then I broke into the National DMV records to find out who owned the car. Then...OK, OK...I found the car on ebay [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zedder -- You had me going there. E-bay just made itself back to 'ok' list for finding cars.

NEW 08-22-2003 07:58 PM

ZEDDER

Great car you®ve found yourself there, nice color combo, now that you mention it i remember Bob telling me that the one he had was black.

Congrats, on a great find!!

NEW

SMGCO 08-24-2003 04:02 PM

Looks good ! Hope you enjoy it.Myfriend Richard Englishisp there in Ontario. He has a restoration shop outside of Toronto and might be a good person for you. He is very knowledgable and honest. Good luck with the new car.

Zedder 08-24-2003 08:48 PM

Thanks Steve.

I found out a little more info last night. A fellow named Kevin Burchell raced the car in a number of Muscle Car Shootouts in the mid to late '80's. Best time was 13.0 with street tires and manifolds. The car ran 12.65 @ 110 mph with "sticky tires, Centerlines and headers". Not bad [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img] Jog any memories???

Jeff H 08-25-2003 01:25 AM

I think I remember a Kevin racing a red 67 L78 at one of the first musclecar shootouts back in the early-mid 80's. I can look through my stack of magazines for the coverage if you want me to.

Zedder 08-25-2003 02:29 AM

Thanks Jeff, That's probably the same guy. He also raced a Camaro that was called "The Colonel" and was sponsored by the family's KFC franchises. He said the car was in Car Craft and Hot Rod in addition to the other mag I listed earlier. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Zedder 02-05-2022 02:49 PM

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this car now?

plumL78 02-05-2022 05:20 PM

After you sold it to Alan he kept it until last year. He kept it in wa. until a couple years ago and brought it to arizona. A week or so after it was in arizona it got stolen. He got it back (amazing story but i wont get into that) with no real damage to the car. The hicks emblem was missing and the car was dirty. We cleaned it up and I took it to the Pavilions cruise in scottsdale on auction weekend . I think we may taken it there a couple years. Its very cool car. He sold it last year and i believe its in the mid west but not sure

Zedder 02-05-2022 05:52 PM

Thanks Plum L78. I appreciate you taking the time to post. It is a very cool car being a 4P car etc. I had heard that Allan had passed away, so it’s good to know he is ok. Someone contacted me last year asking for info on the car. I think I recall them saying that a friend of theirs owned it in Texas and was thinking of selling. I’m sure it will pop up in time…Thanks again!

cook_dw 02-05-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedder (Post 1581338)
Does anyone know the whereabouts of this car now?

I know you asked me not to post in your threads anymore but…

Yes I know where it is and no it’s not for sale.

Zedder 02-05-2022 08:41 PM

Thanks. I’m not looking to buy it, I was just was curious where it was given the news (luckily false) that I was given about Allan last year. I found all of my notes from speaking to the previous owners last night when I was looking for my notes on the other red L78. That is what prompted my question about it.

Zedder 02-06-2022 05:15 PM

For anyone who knows the whereabouts of any of my old cars, one that I would be interested in buying would be the red/red Cone Chev 67 Z. Also the Bill Heard 67 Z, but I know who owns that one currently.

BJCHEV396 02-06-2022 05:36 PM

Sounds, like a lot of us,that you have seller's remorse on some of your cars Mark.Good luck with your search bud.

Zedder 02-06-2022 05:53 PM

Thanks BJ! There’s a lot that I would gladly take back, but my wallet is only so thick like most of us here!