The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Importing a car from Canada (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158097)

carnut4life 11-17-2019 07:43 PM

Importing a car from Canada

I'm in the process of purchasing an 81 Z28 out of Canada and the current owner, who has bought and sold several vehicles from the states recommended I use a place called border buddy to take care of all the paperwork. He said for $400-$500 they'll take care of all the paperwork so he can just bring it to me in Washington so my son and I can drive it home. Has anyone here used them before or is there a better service out there I should be looking at? Thanks, Chad

Tracker1 11-17-2019 10:48 PM

They're a customs broker, which is the service you need to import a vehicle into the US from Canada.

1crossram 11-17-2019 11:35 PM

My understanding is that you need a border broker to file the electronic paperwork for you. Most people charge around the same amount of money.

L78steve 11-18-2019 12:03 AM

I did it myself. Simple, save your $500. All the info you need is on the net.

carnut4life 11-18-2019 02:26 AM

Thanks L78steve, Is there a website I can go to and get all the required forms myself? My son and I are going to fly up and drive it home and I'm terrified of not having something done right and not being able to get the car across the border.

ZiggyL78 11-18-2019 02:37 AM

My X GF lives in Cape Coral FL. Over the period of 10 years I gave her 4 Grand Nationals and I sold 2 GNs myself in FL. They were either trailored or driven over with zero paperwork required. She walked into her local licence office and filled out some forms and that was it. I couldn't believe it! Right up till the third one I thought it was a fluke. That was around 20 years ago. Obviously things have changed.

If you are nervous about the whole deal then hire a Broker.Border guards can be quite overwhelming.

1967Z28 11-18-2019 02:45 AM

I'm interested in an old dirt bike that happens to be outside Montreal, Quebec but there is no title. Is there no way to get it into the U.S.?

scuncio 11-18-2019 03:16 AM

It is a straightforward process and you don’t need a customs broker. I can answer any specific questions you may have- just send me a PM.

Ryan1969Chevelle 11-18-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnut4life (Post 1471829)
Thanks L78steve, Is there a website I can go to and get all the required forms myself? My son and I are going to fly up and drive it home and I'm terrified of not having something done right and not being able to get the car across the border.

I have heard several first hand accounts of buying a Canadian car and bringing it across the border with little to no issues, and little to no cost. (Ontario) Some people think it matters where the car was built/sold new but I don’t think that is a factor. (Not am expert just something I keep an eye on)

Ryan W.

Tracker1 11-18-2019 12:31 PM

Different states have different requirements for paperwork - go to your local DMV and check yours. But yeah, getting to the border and getting "that Guard" can change something routine into a nightmare.