The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Day 2 67 Camaro restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161440)

Xplantdad 06-16-2020 08:41 PM

Looking good !

Chuck_Burg 07-16-2020 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After primer we noticed the car had some more small dents that we didn't see before... standard. We pulled the car back in the shop and used "metal glaze" on the affected areas. This car has very little filler. The car was then rough blocked and is already looking that much better! The car is all original sheet metal with date code stamps throughout except the header panel and right fender. Both are NOS GM pieces.I did notice a few very small differences in the NOS fender versus the factory fender but the factory fender was just too far gone from a nice whiskey dent in the front. My body guy insisted he could fix it, which I'm sure he could, but it wouldn't be 100%.

Chuck_Burg 07-16-2020 05:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been gone for a while... but it's been a little crazy. Coronavirus quarantine had me away from the "car" for 2 weeks but was able to work on restoring several parts at home. Never felt any symptoms but I did test positive. Also my wedding got cancelled due to Covid, so tomorrow we're having a small backyard wedding in our backyard with family. :headbang:

Car is primered now for the third time. Block, primer, block, primer etc... We will get the car to the paint department soon where they can block it more then prep out all the jams. As I stated earlier, the frame, suspension core support etc will be removed after paint. Getting pretty EXCITING around here :burnout:

markinnaples 07-16-2020 07:53 PM

Coming along nicely. 1968 doors?

Xplantdad 07-16-2020 08:41 PM

Glad you are feeling okay. Sorry to hear about the cancelled wedding...but cool on the backyard deal :)

My wife and I got married in old town Orange at Chapman College Chapel...many years ago...LOL

Good to see some progress on the car!

Be safe....

Chuck_Burg 07-17-2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinnaples (Post 1507163)
Coming along nicely. 1968 doors?

No, the doors are the original 67 doors. Original paint on the hinge bolts has never been touched. 68 doors have different shells too because the interior door panels are completely different.

jbtech 07-18-2020 06:18 PM

Congrats on the marriage!

Chuck_Burg 07-20-2020 07:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! Was great with just our families present. To make matters better she's supportive of my Camaro endeavor... She's the one who wanted a Granada Gold 67 in the first place, GO FIGURE??:blush:

scuncio 07-20-2020 09:04 PM

Awesome! Your life will be infinitely happier if you find someone who supports the car addiction.

Xplantdad 07-20-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuncio (Post 1507642)
Awesome! Your life will be infinitely happier if you find someone who supports the car addiction.

True that!

NorCam 07-21-2020 02:47 PM

Getting to the party a bit late here but congrats to you both on tying the knot. Looks like you found a keeper and it's a bonus that she supports your passion for cars.

I was also late in seeing this thread tucked away in the Chevrolet section. Just read it from start to finish and I'm excited to see what your doing with it. Motor looks wicked and the Coors Banquet can is a great idea. I might have to find a similar can to disguise my coil as well.

Keep up the great work. I will be following with a keen interest. :headbang:

Graeme

Chuck_Burg 07-21-2020 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1507765)
Getting to the party a bit late here but congrats to you both on tying the knot. Looks like you found a keeper and it's a bonus that she supports your passion for cars.

I was also late in seeing this thread tucked away in the Chevrolet section. Just read it from start to finish and I'm excited to see what your doing with it. Motor looks wicked and the Coors Banquet can is a great idea. I might have to find a similar can to disguise my coil as well.

Keep up the great work. I will be following with a keen interest. :headbang:

Graeme

Thanks Graeme! Last year I bought your NOS Hurst Line Loc with the 1968 box... It's going on this car. I have acquired a pretty good stash of what I feel are authentic Day 2 parts. The Coors Car was a nice eBay find and probably the cheapest part on the car :rolleyes2: HAHA. I am thinking of naming the car, like an old drag car, The Prospector. Fitting name for the gold on gold. Plus I went to California State University of Long Beach, who's mascot is the 49ers, more specifically Prospector Pete, a burly gold miner equipped with his pick axe. He was recently abolished by the school because a manifest destined gold prospecting roughneck is too racist today....

I want to paint the tail panel black, like a factory big block car, and on one side of the gas cap have "The Prospector" painted with gold leaf and read outline and then pinstripe Prospector Pete and his scantly clad lady on the other side. Thoughts?

Xplantdad 07-21-2020 07:19 PM

I like the idea! Personalize it to your taste! :cool2:

Zedder 07-21-2020 08:27 PM

You could also do vinyl lettering just in case you change your mind about the graphics some day.

Chuck_Burg 07-21-2020 09:06 PM

My dad suggested that as well.... Not quite as authentic but still cool! I really like the gold leaf idea for the lettering.

markinnaples 07-21-2020 09:37 PM

LOVE THE IDEA! But then again, I'm a big fan of the wild paint jobs and names on the cars in 70's.

NorCam 07-22-2020 12:33 AM

I love gold leaf with a back shadow and love the idea of doing a car up with vintage style lettering if you plan on keeping it. If unsure, vinyl is an option and you can also create gold foils in that as well.

Funny I couldn't remember where that line loc was sold to or who got it. I wound up needing a few things for this yellow car that I had previously sold as extras and ended up having to buy some items again. Luckily, I found another vintage line loc kit on eBay. I remember telling myself, you may need that some day! nahhhh! lol

Can't wait to see what you have collected. :3gears:

Chuck_Burg 07-22-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1507824)
I love gold leaf with a back shadow and love the idea of doing a car up with vintage style lettering if you plan on keeping it. If unsure, vinyl is an option and you can also create gold foils in that as well.

Funny I couldn't remember where that line loc was sold to or who got it. I wound up needing a few things for this yellow car that I had previously sold as extras and ended up having to buy some items again. Luckily, I found another vintage line loc kit on eBay. I remember telling myself, you may need that some day! nahhhh! lol

Can't wait to see what you have collected. :3gears:

Haha! I saw in your build thread that you were looking for another one and I thought he doesn't remember he sold me one a year ago.

I have collected:
-Stewart Warner Tach & gauges
-Lakewood driveshaft safety loop
-Lakewood splatter shield (not from the 70's but still has SFi sticker from like
1991.... kinda cool)
-Hurst Comp Plus shifter with a cool T Grip shift knob with a prizim sticker
surrounding the Hurst lettering
-Cragars (the 15x4s are still at the chrome shop)
-you already saw the motor...
-NOS fly eye air cleaner
-Comp engineering traction bars that someone made look like Lakewoods
(pretty nice so I'll use em even if they're not real Lakewoods), I have a set
of rectangular Lakewoods too but they're kinda pitted so I liked these better -"cloned" Hurst/Gabriel Drag Shocks
-Hurst Line Loc
-Appliance Headers

Not sure what else I'll add... Dupree fuel pump may be cool in the trunk like Grady's red 67...

Chuck_Burg 07-23-2020 08:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This week has been a blocking week. The entire car has been blocked 3 times. Getting close. We're putting another coat of primer on today. The hood is still getting worked on a little bit because there were a few bad low spots on it. Then we can jam it, reassemble it, and paint it. It's exciting that we're getting close to seeing some color on it!

Chuck_Burg 07-29-2020 12:26 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Somdone asked about the doors, whether 68 doors or not. You can see the date code for the driver door is 35th week 1966, pass door is 32nd week. Quarters are dated 33rd and 36th week. Wiring covers near the rockers are dated 36th week. The only panels that have been replaced are the header panel, pass fender (whiskey dent too difficult to repair), both fender extensions, and obviously the stinger hood (but I have the factory hood).

jbtech 07-29-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck_Burg (Post 1508636)
Somdone asked about the doors, whether 68 doors or not. You can see the date code for the driver door is 35th week 1966, pass door is 32nd week. Quarters are dated 33rd and 36th week. Wiring covers near the rockers are dated 36th week. The only panels that have been replaced are the header panel, pass fender (whiskey dent too difficult to repair), both fender extensions, and obviously the stinger hood (but I have the factory hood).

Nice! Since becoming a member here I enjoy photographs of factory stamps and factory casting marks much more than I ever have haha.

Chuck_Burg 07-29-2020 11:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tried to mimic the factory antenna hole on the new NOS pass fender. Looks good. OK.... a little more primer for just a little more blocking.... :eek2:

A few things need a little more work on the body line. Getting CLOSE! The hood is also getting worked on. Though it fits nice it's pretty wavy, no surprise with fiberglass. I want it as straight as we can get it.

Xplantdad 07-30-2020 12:18 AM

Looking good!:biggthumpup:

Chuck_Burg 08-07-2020 12:35 AM

6 Attachment(s)
It's getting real.....

jbtech 08-07-2020 04:35 AM

That color looks great! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

olredalert 08-07-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbtech (Post 1509707)
That color looks great! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

----Agree,,,That color never looked good to me in lacquer, but it sure looks good with 2 stage!.....Bill S

Chuck_Burg 08-07-2020 02:17 PM

Thanks guys. It’s much richer! Will definitely be an eye catcher, should be painted next week....

markinnaples 08-07-2020 04:36 PM

Love that color, can't wait to see it done.

Chuck_Burg 08-07-2020 06:57 PM

Thanks! It'll really pop, especially with the black stinger and black tail panel :headbang:

NorCam 08-08-2020 11:17 PM

Yup...I like that. Gonna be a sweet looking finish with the contrasting hood.

I'll bet you are getting real excited about it now. (congrats)

DW31S 08-09-2020 12:28 AM

Love the color. Should be a killer Day2 ride!

Chuck_Burg 08-09-2020 08:02 PM

Thanks guys. I am getting excited! We’ll just need to be very careful with it after it’s painted. We will then detail the bottoms of the floors and pull the frame, fuel lines, brake lines, etc. It’s definitely going to be bitchin’

The color my painter made is great. In my opinion the metallic is spot on, very fine. The color seems to be much more bold and deep than the original. It’s a little brighter too. He told me he could get it closer to the original color, using the underside of the deck lid as his source, but I really liked this. It’s very close to the original but just a bit “better”. Pretty sure this modern two stage paint is just that much better anyway. Someone already mentioned how much crisper this looked compared to the original. I am happy with the result so far.

NorCam 09-17-2020 04:46 AM

How are things coming along with your paint at this point? Looking forward to some additional information and progress of your build.

Chuck_Burg 09-17-2020 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The build has "stalled" a bit... haha! As you've all read my car is getting painted in a production shop and business has picked up a bit, in addition to one of the two painters went on quarantine for two weeks. He's back as of this past Monday so my painter should be able to get back to my car soon.

My firewall was painted along with the dash and interior. Correct flat paint. Looks amazing! I'll post pics later. I also got my seats done. New springs and foam for the front seats, they now sit really nice.

Jason, SuperNovaSS, sent me a really cool Ellis Brooks Chevrolet emblem... THANKS BUDDY!

Jose, JBTECH (craigslist wizard), found me a nice set of 15x4 Ansen Sprint direct bolt front runners. Best part is they were 10 miles from my house! I also recently acquired a set of 15x8.5s... I have a nice set of ROUND Cragars for this car too. Don't know why I wanted a set of Ansens all of sudden... Guess I don't see them often and figured they'd be cool with slicks and skinnies.

I also bought a set of reproduction L88 spark plug wires.... I think they'll look cooler than the Taylor wires my builder supplied. I'll try to get them on the car this weekend.

Other than that, I've been spending most free time with our new dog, Hank. Last week we brought him to the Colorado River with us. I wanted him acclimated to loud motors since my Father In Law races Grand National Sprint Boats. I'm sure our dog will be at most of the nearby races.

Chuck_Burg 09-17-2020 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the front seats.

mr.4speed 09-18-2020 12:34 AM

Look great!

Xplantdad 09-18-2020 12:43 AM

Very nice!!:biggthumpup:

NorCam 09-18-2020 10:17 PM

Looking like everything else you're doing...

"Certified Gold Standard"

Very nice. Good looking pooch too.

Chuck_Burg 10-14-2020 12:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Like I previously mentioned, we've been backed up in the shop but my turn is finally here! The car is sanded, cleaned, and ready for color! I've been getting a few other things here and there done for the car. I got my bumpers back from chrome... amazing. Used Meclec Plating in Fresno, CA. They also did vent windows.

Got my 15x4 Cragar's back from chrome too... Unfortunately the hoops were so shot the wheel shop had to replace them. They look great but the date codes on the hoops are gone :dunno:

I also wanted some early Ansen Sprints... This is getting bad... I have four sets of rims lying around the garage now. Jose, JBTECH, helped find me some pretty nice 15x4 Ansens which I'll have polished. I found a very nice set of 15x8.5s and 4 NOS early metal center caps...

More pics to come soon!!!

Xplantdad 10-14-2020 01:11 AM

Very nice!!:headbang: