The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Speed limiters in new cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171673)

70 copo 05-03-2022 02:16 PM

Speed limiters in new cars

Please keep replies factual and non Political so the thread can stay up.

What is known:

On July 6, all new vehicles sold in Europe – including the UK – will be equipped with a speeder limiter as per new legal requirements to boost road safety.

The new speed limit assist system “will become mandatory on new cars in 2022 uses a forward-facing camera mounted on the car and the vehicle’s satellite navigation system to identify the speed limit and, if the car is exceeding it, to restrict the fuel flowing to the engine until the vehicle is at the limit speed,”

Link Here:
https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....anger-drivers/

GearheadSS 05-03-2022 03:36 PM

Sounds terrible. Glad I don't live there and hope it doesn't make its way here any time soon.

70 copo 05-03-2022 05:10 PM

"Hey look here at my 1000 HP electric car!":3gears:

"Cool! "Too bad comes equipped with an onboard Kill switch and a speed limiter":mad2:

BCreekDave 05-04-2022 12:27 PM

My guess is here (and maybe too in Europe) the first ones to complain will be the local police jurisdictions as this will severely cut into the revenue stream if no one is able to speed anymore. They will somehow characterize this as a safety issue (not sure how that will happen). Failing this, they will just jack up the rates on everything else to compensate and will shamelessly state that it was always a farce that they claimed that the previous "safety" speeding ticket writing campaigns were all about revenue after all and that quotas really did exist.

markinnaples 05-04-2022 02:07 PM

Does this remind anyone of the "55 Stay Alive" campaign in the 1970's when all of the speed limits were lowered and all of the speedos in new cars terminated at 85 mph?

What a dreary time period, but everything, EVERYTHING is cyclical, and I don't think anyone would have thought that 40 years later we'd have some new cars making 800hp.

70 copo 05-04-2022 03:22 PM

Absolutely. We exited the gold standard in 1971 and switched the world Reserve currency pegged to the value of a barrel of oil.

And “just like that”... THE 1970’s!

Multiple oil shortages, gas lines and talk of “peak oil” to be followed by the coming ice age, then followed by global warming, which was switched to climate change when it became obvious that the earth was not statistically warming to match the gloom and doom.

On the upside looks like old cars are going to be the “in” thing for a while:burnout:

Lynn 05-04-2022 03:29 PM

Frankly, I am surprised this hasn't already happened in the U.S. Not that I am a proponent. Just surprised.

What I expected was electronically limited to 85 mph (highest posted speed limit in the land).

Jeff H 05-04-2022 04:04 PM

Sounds like an idea that would lead to more accidents as you're taking control away from the driver.

Another thing coming is part of the infrastructure bill that requires new cars in 2025 to have some sort of impaired driver protection. From what I read, it sounds like something that will scan your eyes to see if you're rapidly looking in different directions and disable the car if it thinks you're impaired. I could see that shutting you down in an emergency situation when you're trying to react to a bad situation. This "safety" stuff is getting more dangerous all the time.

jdv69z 05-04-2022 08:28 PM

Hmm, how long can I make my old car continue to run? A couple hundred thousand, maybe more, or so new vehicles not sold because people don't want them and adopt this philosophy. What's that do the auto industry?

Pro Stock John 05-05-2022 02:44 AM

I'm going to Italy for work this month, I'll ask the European folks what they think of this.