The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Question about your cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166293)

67since67 03-12-2021 04:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pre-Covid my grandkids always took turns sitting in all my cars. The youngest grandson, my little gearhead buddy, has been known to turn a wrench also.
I once asked him which one he liked best. "The red one". I asked why. " Because it's the fastest"!! How did he know that??

Exhaust noise may have been his clue? Just wait till I can get him alone with me for a ride!! :naughty:

Bill W

JP Emerson 03-15-2021 12:53 PM

I love seeing this. What better way to further the hobby than to share our cars with future generations!

JP

A12pilot 03-15-2021 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not only do I let people sit in them, I make them come back when they're older to sit in them again!

One of the highlights of the Beater Bee restoration was Neil sitting in the car when it was in the barn find section. Him and his father are photographers. I saw Neil next to the car and insisted he take a seat!

Well, fast forward a few years later during my unveiling and I had Neil sit in it again! And he was no longer a kid, he'd gotten married and had a kid! Man, time just marches on!

These are cars and are meant to be appreciated. Ropes and chains around them don't really help build future fans. But then again, with irresponsible parents, barbed wire sometimes isn't enough to protect from stupidity!

Cheers
Dave

mssl72 03-15-2021 08:53 PM

I'm all for inspiring kids and young adults. One guy sat in my car while holding his little one. Then the little one got loose and started climbing around on my console. I'm a little reluctant now with kids that small. I'd hate to try to find another 4 speed console.

Steve Shauger 03-15-2021 09:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For years I was involved in the AACA Peconic Bay Region and we had a fall show that had everything from a 1906 ALCO (Black Beast) to a Hemi Daytona. Shows for the most part are static, so I introduce "give a child a ride" and with the parent holding the child we would drive them in a small loop. Unfortunately the event insurer was not pleased so we stopped.

One laughable moment at our show was seeing children look in amazement at how turning a window crank move the window up and down. Once one child saw it a couple dozen wanted a turn, and their reactions were priceless. We also had lectures setup on unique cars so that we introduce young and old to our classic cars. Today children are exposed to other stimulation, computers and video game and are wizzes. Providing exposure to young children and adult benefits our hobby...

My grandchildren are very interested in cars and they've been provided many lessons on respect other peoples property and pops cars.....

Damien 03-15-2021 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutely! He's better behaved than many adults I know!

Burd 03-16-2021 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Half the fun was getting her up there, this pic made the calendar, the Hot Spot is a coffee shop where the girls wear, well, sometimes not much.
The newest , a sit down place, was opened almost rite next door to the Packard Prov grounds, breast place to get a coffee before the swap

x33rs 03-16-2021 03:09 PM

Absolutely!!
Funny story, we daily drive ours, my son his 65 bug, I drive a 70 formula and my wife drives the 69 Z. So we are at the gas stations every week with the cars filling up. It never fails a young kid with his mom is amazed at the cool car. One day I'm filling up and he says "look mom, a secret compartment for gas" He's talking about how I pulled the license plate down to fill up. He's fascinated with the car looking at it so I ask if he wants to sit in it. At first I think his mom thought I was some sort of creep, lol. She was hesitant but then said okay. That kid had the biggest smile on his face. Pretty sure I made a car guy out of that little one.

m22mike 03-16-2021 05:22 PM

As I sit behind my car on cruise in night I people watch and quit often I see a little one that can't see inside. Sometimes before the parent whisks them away I get up and open the door and ask the kid would like to sit in here ? And now you know the rest of the story.
And thanks Rick for letting Ryan sit in the Chevelle, we made him take his shoes off. :grin:

Lee Stewart 03-16-2021 05:42 PM

If there was no food at the show - then yes. But if they were selling ice cream and such - absolutely not.