The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Ebay & other seen ads section (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   NOS AC A329C Air Filter w/ Square Wire Mesh (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178374)

Bill Pritchard 03-18-2024 04:03 AM

NOS AC A329C Air Filter w/ Square Wire Mesh

Vintage NOS AC A329C air filter with square wire mesh outer wrap. Never installed on a vehicle. Complete with 'patina-ed' original box that has normal shelf wear and some minor staining. Paper element and wire mesh have minor discoloration as you would expect in a 50 year old item. Photos tell the whole story here. Filter will be shipped inside its original box, which will then be inside another box with plenty of protective padding around it. Selling at no reserve with a $9.99 minimum opening bid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266722204644

bergy 03-18-2024 12:42 PM

Hi Bill - WOW - nice filter! Can one of the judges confirm what years this square mesh is technically correct for? I don't believe that it's first gen Camaro - is it?

Bill Pritchard 03-18-2024 09:16 PM

I believe it's correct for the QJet cars with closed element air cleaner such as a 300hp 350 and a 325hp 396, and undoubtedly a number of others. I bought this years ago for my black 69 Chevelle SS396 convertible and never used it.

napa68 03-18-2024 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of what I believe to be an original assembly line element. This is in an 11k mile 73 Corvette that I have currently.

jeffschevelle 03-18-2024 10:56 PM

The white BEST WAY TO PROTECT YOUR ENGINE ink stamp was used from approximately March 1968 through at least November of 1974 based on original filter and NOS air cleaner assembly box dates.

The earliest PROTECT YOUR ENGINE (without BEST WAY TO at the beginning) filter I have documented was in a box with 1975 date (no month or day).

So if the ink stamp just says PROTECT YOUR ENGINE (without BEST WAY TO), then the filter was made no earlier than December of 1974, at the earliest.

Note that there are filters being sold on ebay where it is obvious that the BEST WAY TO has been added with a separate stamp, to make a later filter look like an earlier one ...

As to the mesh, the horizontal / vertical version of the soldered wire "square mesh" was the second version of that wire used. The first version was the exact same soldered wire with square-holes, but it was cut so that the wires were oriented diagonally on the completed filter. It was in use at least as early as 1960.

I have not pinned down the exact changeover date from diagonal "square mesh" to horizontal/vertical "square mesh", but the latest dated box with a diagonal mesh I have documented is 7/14/1969, and the earliest horizontal/vertical mesh I have documented was in a box with 1970 date (no month or day). And obviously both of those were BEST WAY TO filters since made before 11/1974.

Happy hunting!

60sStuff 03-19-2024 12:58 AM

AC air filter Mesh

6 Attachment(s)
In the mid 60’s (64,65,66) the Pontiac GTO with the 3x2 would have a foam filter supported by a round bronze screen. This was a reusable filter.

The next filter from that era were the wire mesh and they were a one time use.

Two types of mesh are shown below.
The first design was a diagonal heavy solder mesh. Impossible to find.
The second design was a stamped mesh.

Both these filters have their dates inked on the box end.

I’ve misplaced my old notes, but the early boxes only have AC.
The later boxes have AC plus GM. I think this change started in the late 60’s, early 70’s.

luzl78 03-19-2024 01:35 AM

Look at the knowledge on this site.

BJCHEV396 03-19-2024 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luzl78 (Post 1646325)
Look at the knowledge on this site.

It's amazing!