The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   What’s your cold start procedure if the car has been sitting? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169163)

Zedder 10-02-2021 04:50 PM

What’s your cold start procedure if the car has been sitting?

1 Attachment(s)
I was overzealous with the gas this morning and flooded the carb. What’s your cold start procedure if the car has been sitting for a few weeks/months?

SuperNovaSS 10-02-2021 05:21 PM

You can either let it sit for awhile or hold you foot all the way to the floor while cranking. That should help get the unturned fuel out. If that doesn’t do it, starting fluid may be your friend. I imagine it is pretty cold up there right now.

Jason

Zedder 10-02-2021 05:24 PM

Thanks Jason. It’s actually a beautiful day today!

Sorry, I meant cold start in general - not after it is flooded. I know I am thinking that I need to get it started quickly because I don’t want to kill the battery as I only use a tender when it’s in storage. That is making me pump the gas too much like an idiot!

SuperNovaSS 10-02-2021 05:48 PM

Every car can be a bit different. Takes getting used to. I’d try a couple pumps and foot to the floor.

Jason

1971ls6 10-02-2021 08:47 PM

My alluminum motor is 4 full pumps, yes not 3 or 2, it fires right up.

Steel big block was 2-3

Both without a choke blade

Zedder 10-02-2021 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I’ll try 3 or 4 pumps and see how it goes. I’m going to charge the battery first so I’m not thinking about killing it turning the car over. It was close to starting so I kept pumping this morning and it puked some gas onto the manifold likely from the shaft as the inside of the breather was dry. I’m letting it evaporate fully before trying again.

Might as well polish it while I wait 😀

KevinW 10-02-2021 10:07 PM

The gas in my Qjet evaporates after a week. I don't touch the accel, crank it until the oil light goes out, try 1 pump, crank it, then 1 pump, then crank, etc. Usually takes 2 to three separate pumps to get the fuel bowl filled and it starts.

TimG 10-02-2021 10:53 PM

If it’s been a few weeks, I use a squirt bottle to fill the front bowl. That helps prime things.

Zedder 10-03-2021 12:13 AM

Thanks guys!

Too Many Projects 10-03-2021 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimG (Post 1565664)
If it’s been a few weeks, I use a squirt bottle to fill the front bowl. That helps prime things.

His should be a quadrajet, no bowl vent tube.

The carb should have a working choke. Pump the pedal once to set the choke and then crank until it fires. If the gas has bled back to the tank, it can take a while to get it back. If it hasn't fired after 20 seconds, pump it once again then crank.
A good maintainer should be able to keep a healthy battery near peak and allow it to crank that engine for at least 3 minutes. If not, you may need a new/better battery.
You may want to invest in a decent jump box too, for times when a battery wears down prematurely. I've had one for several years and it has saved me many times.