The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   1952 F1: Flames to Fantastical! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155354)

Billohio 06-05-2019 01:58 PM

That spring is wild. Good for you taking on this project

olredalert 06-05-2019 02:43 PM

----I saw many of the things you have pictured in my 2011 shop fire. Fire marshall stated that the temperature would have been around 1600 degrees to have that much damage. Really hoping your metal isn't brittle...…Bill S

Ryan1969Chevelle 06-05-2019 03:12 PM

I am hooked already!!

I am a big fan of the amazing support people share in this hobby!!

This is way over the top!!

Ryan W31

mssl72 06-05-2019 08:23 PM

Wow!! Man Dave, that's a big undertaking! As Steve said "Kudos to you Dave for undertaking this project. :beers:"!! I've always heard that there can be paint issues with metal that's been in a fire. Is it a matter of proper metal prepping, how hot the fire was or a combination of those that determines how paint holds? I'm not a body man and can't say I've ever knowingly seen a burnt vehicle before and after. I've always wondered how true the statement is. I'll be watching you on this one.

A12pilot 06-09-2019 05:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! :laugh: So with fresh concrete needing some dirt, I started digging in on the truck. Luckily, no rusted bolts! See? Everything has a positive side. :scholar: To answer your questions, Mark, I'm not sure. I'll have to research that myself!

I'm still in shock on a few things the fire did. The start solenoid melted and fell apart yet the coil remained inside. The power brake booster came apart as one piece leaving the pushrod connected to the pedal. :eek2:

So step one was to pull the engine....

Cheers:beers:
Dave

A12pilot 06-09-2019 05:26 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Moving forward, with the engine out I wanted to tear it down to the long block to see what the heat might have done. Any ideas on if the head gaskets would need to be replaced? :dunno:

I'm no expert, but that rotor looks like it's needing replacement! :laugh: The interior shot is what's left of the A/C evaporator. Those reverse arc of the springs put so much pressure in those pins I needed to chop the spring before I could get the sledge out and pound the pins out. Of course, with every hammer of the sledge, dust and debris went flying everywhere with somehow it all ending up on me! But no matter..... we're almost roundin' the way from Truck Corner to Frame City!:burnout:

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 06-09-2019 05:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So, after hurricane Dave moved through, I'm down to the frame! And my once clean and new shop has gone the way of the DoDo bird:frown:. But that's ok! That's the sign of progress and once I get everything sitcheated here, I'll powerwash the shop and get it all cleaned up. I mean, it's not like I'll have another hunk of a truck in here that could be any worse than this one... right? RIGHT??:confused2:

Cheers:beers:

Dave

A12pilot 06-09-2019 05:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wrong!!:naughty: Why do I get myself into these predicaments? Why can't I ever have nice cars? Why do I crave creating crap into crystal?? :eek2:

After looking over the truck cab, the fire did such a number on it that a donor cab was needed. So where's one to find a 1952 F1 cab laying around? Welp, glad you asked! I live in nowhereville now, and as such, these trucks are pretty plentiful around here. So, like I do eeeeevvvryyyy morning: (ssssiiippp)ahhhhh.... man that's good coffee. Alrighty, let's see...craigslist....Dallas....(tippity-type)....1952.........(enter)....hmmmm......"1952 Ford F1 flathead solid" [snort]ppllffllppp....cough....(coffee through the nose) Holy Crap! That's it!!

And two days later, it's in the shop! 100% complete 1952 F1 with an 8BA flatty and 4 gear on the floor! More to come.....:burnout:

Cheers
Dave

Postsedan 06-09-2019 11:23 AM

Super Man Dave is back in Metropolis, Texas :)

Well done!

Dan

Billohio 06-09-2019 01:39 PM

That is amazing craigslist had what you wanted! Looks like a pretty solid truck