The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Rick Nelson's last car (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177351)

big gear head 11-20-2023 02:37 PM

Rick Nelson's last car

4 Attachment(s)
Rick is retiring and says that this is the last restoration that he's doing. '70 SS L89 4 speed.

Too Many Projects 11-20-2023 02:57 PM

I know the story about how it came to be an L89 is far more interesting, but for those who noticed the Chevelle grill emblem was missing, that is a funny story too. Apparently it vibrated loose and fell off in the trailer and the driver did not notice it, as there are many places it could hide in the mechanisms. I ran into Rick in the swap meet area, looking for one to buy and put on. Ironically, I looked right at that grille thru the side door of the trailer when the car was still on the trailer and saw it didn't have the emblem and briefly wondered why, but I was talking with the driver about the total value of the cars he had transported and didn't go any further with the curiosity of the missing emblem. Sorry Rick !!
Curious if the cars would go back on the same trailers they arrived on and the emblem could be found...:hmmm:

RPOLS3 11-20-2023 03:48 PM

Stunning just like all of Rick's stuff.

Z282NV 11-20-2023 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1637788)
Rick is retiring and says that this is the last restoration that he's doing. '70 SS L89 4 speed.

Congratulations on retirement and the L89 is nothing but perfection!:worship:

dykstra 11-20-2023 08:06 PM

That L89 was straight up AWESOME!!! Congrats on your retirement.

napa68 11-20-2023 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykstra (Post 1637815)
That L89 was straight up AWESOME!!! Congrats on your retirement.

Absolutely x2!

A12pilot 11-21-2023 11:12 AM

That car was over-the-top AWESOME!!!! It was great chatting with you Rick. Interesting conversation about where it was displayed too. :biggthumpup:

You’ll be back……just admit it!!!!:tongue:

Cheers
Dave

JMB 11-22-2023 01:13 AM

Wish I was there to see it! The Chevelle Community has a large void to fill with Rick's retirement!

BJCHEV396 11-22-2023 10:35 PM

Enjoy your deserved retirement Rick.....you will be missed.

SS427 11-23-2023 04:26 PM

Thank you guys. The kind words are very much appreciated. It was a strange weekend as I have not missed a show since its inception and had a car here most every year but one if I recall. This being the last show bringing one of our restorations was rather bittersweet and definitely felt a little overwhelming with emotions. Its been a great ride and must say this car was certainly one of the highest honors I could be bestowed as a last restoration. Phil is such a humble and down to earth person and the car did very well. I had to leave early due to family matters but was told by someone at the awards ceremony that Phil's Chevelle received the 2023 Platinum Pick Judges Choice award for best stock Chevrolet. If true that is the second year in a row for us and I could not be happier to end my career with such an honor. I have met some outstanding friends over the years due to these restorations and shows and that I will remember more than anything else. Thanks to all. After 44 years of restoring cars, its time to go fishing! ;)