The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   1967 camaro rs battery draw (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178315)

ALLZS 03-12-2024 02:02 PM

1967 camaro rs battery draw

what can cause the battery to drain down overnight on a 67 rs camaro convertible there are no interior lights left on or other aux lighting

danachevroletfor1967 03-12-2024 03:59 PM

Do you have an underhood light? My '67 Camaro would drain the battery when the mercury switch, or whatever controlled the light, stopped working and the light would stay on with the hood closed. The only way I discovered this much later was noticing a light pattern on the garage floor after closing the hood.

Big Block Bill 03-12-2024 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLZS (Post 1645903)
what can cause the battery to drain down overnight on a 67 rs camaro convertible there are no interior lights left on or other aux lighting

Start by removing the negative battery cable and installing a 12 volt test light between the negative post on the battery and the cable end. With everything off, and the doors closed, If the test light lights up, you have a draw in the battery. Next remove (1) fuse at a time until the light goes out to see which circuit the draw is in. If you pull all the fuses and the test light is still lit, disconnect the positive wire to the alternator. If the test light is still lit, disconnect the positive cable to the starter. If the light is still lit, you have something positive shorting to ground. Bill

Too Many Projects 03-12-2024 10:05 PM

Bill is right on, but if you are still running the original style, externally regulated alternator, I would start there before pulling fuses. My experience with this when these cars were still around is that a diode would short out in the alt and ground out. You can look at the dash in the dark and see if the alt light is faintly glowing too. I've seen that happen with a shorted alternator.
If the alt isn't the issue, then start pulling fuses... :biggthumpup:

thehornworks 03-12-2024 10:20 PM

Don't discount a bad battery. They are not good or long lasting now a days

Kurt S 03-13-2024 07:02 PM

Some solid advice!

ALLZS 03-13-2024 07:40 PM

going to work on this over the weekend thanks for all the in put will let you know what i find

169indy 03-13-2024 08:27 PM

Don't forget disconnecting the Voltage Regulator also as part of you isolation methods.

ALLZS 03-16-2024 12:39 PM

well it looks like i found the problem the brand new voltage regulator is junk

Too Many Projects 03-17-2024 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLZS (Post 1646145)
well it looks like i found the problem the brand new voltage regulator is junk

Not the first time we have heard this about them. Glad you found the issue and can now correct it.