The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Chassis paint removal (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155134)

napa68 05-19-2019 01:48 PM

Chassis paint removal

I am looking to see what some of you have done or suggest to remove some paint from where is does not belong.

On an original car I have, there is some spray bomb "fluffing" that had been done on a few areas of the car (chassis components, shocks, etc). I believe there to be nice original finishes underneath.

In advance.......thanks!
Tim

firstgenaddict 05-20-2019 03:54 PM

Tim
PM sent

James

ls6owner 09-16-2021 02:31 PM

This is exactly the same issue I have. Someone spray bombed the gas tank and some of the frame on the rear of the car and I would like to remove it. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thx
Oliver

napa68 09-16-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls6owner (Post 1563472)
This is exactly the same issue I have. Someone spray bombed the gas tank and some of the frame on the rear of the car and I would like to remove it. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thx
Oliver

I think each case is different. You have to sneak up on it. Graeme had a graffiti remover he used on one of his cars that got rattled. I ended up using enamel reducer as my magic.

Tim

firstgenaddict 09-16-2021 04:13 PM

The more prep done prior to the rattle can resto the more difficult it is to remove, sometimes easy off oven cleaner will remove it. Though like Tim, on stubborn paint, I too have used enamel reducer.

ls6owner 09-17-2021 03:06 PM

Thx fellows. I will start with the over cleaner and see if that works. I'm guessing the prep work done before spray painting was minimal. If that isn't successful, I'll move up to the enamel reducer.
Oliver

Jonesy 09-17-2021 04:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
On my 1974 low mile Z the previous owner went nuts with black spray bomb on the floorboards and gas tank. The gas tank was spray bombed black, then pin striped :hmmm:

I read where oven cleaner would remove spray bomb paint so I tried it on the tank where you couldnt see it. I sprayed it and let it sit and then basically washed off the paint.

I ended up doing the whole tank. Results were amazing as it looked like a brand new tank.
I could even see the factory USS stencil marking on the tank.
Here are pics after I did this.

Jonesy 09-17-2021 05:00 PM

One thing I will say is after awhile my tank had this chalky like finish to it. Im thinking maybe I should have scrubbed it with soap and water a bit more thoroughly after.
I think it will clean up if I lightly steel wooled it. This is the experience I had with the tank.

Now as for the floor boards, I did the same process except I cleaned those very thoroughly after. It left the factory finish of primer and overspray. It must have been spray bombed very early in its life with very low miles or new. Some of the paint did not come off as easy and had to go over it several times. I would say I got 80% of it off so far. I just havent spent much time on it since.

mssl72 09-17-2021 08:53 PM

The original owner of my '74 Z worked at Heinrich when he bought it. He under coated (Ziebart) the hell out of it! Inside the doors and everywhere. There's probably about 40lbs of it. I can't imagine what that's going to be like to remove. Maybe the dry ice blast.

Jonesy 09-17-2021 10:10 PM

I got Ziebart off my 79Z by hooking up my pressure washer to hot water source and blasted it right off. It was on my inner front wheel wells and tops of fenders under the hood. All over my floor boards. I was surprised how I blasted it right off.