The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   GM Experimental Prototype SBC 3x2 / Tripower setup (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137126)

68moz28rs 04-19-2016 12:58 PM

Re: GM Experimental Prototype SBC 3x2 / Tripower setup

Doesn't look like there's even a third carburetor? Correct me if I'm wrong but if you look at the farthest carb and look at the distance between that and the distributor, It doesn't look like there's nearly enough room. Also I don't see the third line on the distribution block for the fuel. Could this just be a 2x2 intake?

PxTx 04-19-2016 01:13 PM

Would love to see more. I even dig the old MSD box. Any chance there are more pics?

old5.0 04-19-2016 09:23 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novadude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a 'modern' K$N filter element on that crusty old engine? Fake Patina? </div></div>

K&amp;N's been making those cotton filters since the 60's. I wouldn't take an old K&amp;N as evidence of fakery.

JoeC 04-20-2016 12:50 PM

Do you know what the numbers and date codes on the carbs are?

dboles 04-21-2016 04:04 AM

What's with the modern braided fuel lines and fittings. This doesn't add up.

PxTx 04-21-2016 04:15 AM

I agree these don't have that traditional look I'm familiar with, but when do you think these were 1st used in automotive applications?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dboles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's with the modern braided fuel lines and fittings. This doesn't add up. </div></div>

old5.0 04-21-2016 05:49 AM

Could be 80's stuff, but, hey, it's 2016. A car modded in the mid-80s, abused for a few years and parked for the next 25 would have plenty of legitimately earned patina.

earntaz 04-21-2016 12:45 PM

As a retired aircraft maintainer, I can tell you stainless steel-braided hose and red/blue aluminum fittings were used on AF jets I worked on back in the early '60s. So I am sure they were used for &quot;exotic&quot; applications such as this 3X2 setup. TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img]

Mr. Chevy 04-23-2016 03:25 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 68l30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have come across &quot;A&quot; Winters marked SBC 3X2 manifold before. I was intriqued by the markings and the seller wanted a ridiculus amount of money, at the time. Was it a GM piece? Who knows, Winters is close enough to us in NEO, lots of cool stuff and stories pop up.

BIG </div></div>

A fella I knew in Canton, Ohio told me that more Winters aluminum intake manifolds &quot;went over the fence&quot; and were stolen than actually put on cars back in the day. He stated there were lots of intakes floating around the Canton area and most likely still are stuffed away in garages.

Rich

70 copo 04-24-2016 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the prototype Air Cleaner decal image... Enjoy! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] What could have been and was not....

(Cross Flags)
<span style="font-weight: bold">TURBOFIRE 350</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">3 X 2</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">360 HORSEPOWER</span>