The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   WIW 68 Impala SS427 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162473)

tom406 08-05-2020 03:21 AM

WIW 68 Impala SS427

3 Attachment(s)
Hello-would love to chat with anyone who follows this market closely. I'm doing a market value appraisal for the owner of this '68. Seemed straightforward until I got there and figured out she was the original owner. And it was factory red with black buckets and a console. Oh, hey, its a 4 speed. I wonder if..., yep its an L72.

SS427 08-05-2020 03:49 AM

There are many that can help but the first that comes to mind is Donald Bock Jr from American Auto Wire. You can also find him on Facebook. These cars have really gone up in value over the past few years. I'm going to guess in the neighborhood of $75-$85k but I don't follow the market that closely.

Bill Pritchard 08-05-2020 03:53 AM

Wow! My guess is that Rick may be a bit high, but not much...I will guess $70 - $75K. The hood alone may be worth $10K!

L78M22Rag 08-05-2020 06:06 AM

Did you say “She’s” the original owner... and L72 in the same sentence? That’s cool!

The original owner of my Carolina Blue LS5 4-speed convertible was a woman. Apparently, she would have ordered the LS6 if it wasn’t for the fact that she also wanted A/C.

jer 08-05-2020 02:02 PM

Is this the same car that was at PIR swap 2 years ago? If so, it's a sweetheart!!!!

Tarrytown SS427s 08-05-2020 03:59 PM

I have been following the sale of these cars for many years. My brother and I also maintain an SS427 registry. We would be happy to help you out. I do not believe this car is in our list yet. Always great to see these cars surface!

prototype 08-05-2020 04:21 PM

I LOVE these cars!!

A 4 spd L72 is quite desirable. If the car is US delivered then paperwork is paramount. Clearly the engine stamping is great news as without that they are tough to document. However it looks like the car your appraising may just have everything if she happens to have her paperwork and/or some of it is still lurking in the car itself.

$75K is possible but it would have to be an incredible car which it appears it may be.

There was a black 4 spd convertible I chased for 20 years and finally gave up when I found a second 4 spd convertible a year ago which was a Canadian car and had something I'd not seen before. The cowl tag had Z24 on it which I'd never seen on any US car, so I bought it instead.

A couple weeks later I finally was able to secure the black car and just sold the other one last month.

tom406 08-05-2020 07:26 PM

Thank you for the replies. The car was purchased by the woman and her husband off of a Chevrolet lot. It was custom ordered by a soldier who unfortunately was unable to take delivery. They were just shopping for a new car, liked it when the salesman showed it to them, then used it as their daily driver for a number of years. It was job shop re-painted once after some patchwork was done around the rear wheel lips. You know, I just can’t think of many L72 cars that kept a Muncie shifter and full wheel covers for 50+ years.

Bill Pritchard 08-05-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom406 (Post 1509551)
You know, I just can’t think of many L72 cars that kept a Muncie shifter and full wheel covers for 50+ years.

Boy, isn't that the truth! Probably a one-of-one in that category. Does the woman have any original paperwork from the purchase of the car?

tom406 08-05-2020 07:52 PM

I didn’t find paperwork with the car, Bill. I told the family to look through her papers, and told them vintage pictures also help tell the history.