The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   69 Chevelle Re-Fresh... (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171363)

WILMASBOYL78 04-03-2022 07:10 PM

69 Chevelle Re-Fresh...

6 Attachment(s)
Helping a local car friend with an under the hood 'refresh'...thought I would share a few photos and ask a couple of questions. This is not a 'concours' job...but we are trying to make it look nice. We have had some help from SYC members with parts and advice...much appreciated.

The motor is a base 396/325hp...he added the Motion style valve covers and an Edelbrock performer manifold. Engine has been gone thru...steel chain and gears, roller tip rockers, new water pump, new OEM oil pan, etc.

Questions:

-what is the correct color for dipstick tube and stick...and does the 325hp have the yellow tip?

-Muncie trans. with Hurst CP shifter...shouldn't there be bushings on the shift levers?

-Air cleaner base is missing the vent tube...does anyone sell this or perhaps someone here has a spare?

Thanks, wilma

Too Many Projects 04-03-2022 09:43 PM

Lookin' good !!
Yes the shifter rods should, have bushings. Plastic is standard for "normal" use, but steel are available if he is going to stir vigorously.

I LIKE those valve covers.

Mr.Nickey Nova 04-03-2022 10:42 PM

Stick and tube should be natural, just like in the picture. Yellow tip also...

L72Chevelle 04-03-2022 11:42 PM

That is a Camaro shifter not the correct one for a Chevelle.

L72Chevelle 04-03-2022 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Correct Chevelle shifter.

ruralrte66 04-04-2022 12:52 AM

Keep Up The Great Work, Looks Awesome!!

Gregg

WILMASBOYL78 04-04-2022 01:31 PM

Hurst Shifter...

Quote:

Originally Posted by L72Chevelle (Post 1587275)
That is a Camaro shifter not the correct one for a Chevelle.

I kind of figured that when I looked at it...he says it has worked fine, so we will leave it alone. The vin stamp on the tranny is from a Camaro and the tag #3946797 denoted L34/L78.

He is cleaning the tranny and detailing the components...sent him info for bushing kit.

We are going to put the motor back in this weekend...I told him early Saturday morning...the afternoon is reserved for the Masters :3gears:

Thanks for all the input...it is a fun project, helps while I'm waiting for spring to arrive. :tongue:

WILMASBOYL78 04-04-2022 01:57 PM

Air Cleaner Base Missing Vent Tube...

1 Attachment(s)
We need a vent tube for the air cleaner base...are these available or do any of you folks have a spare?? It was removed and had a piece of tape over the hole.

thanks...wilma

WILMASBOYL78 04-10-2022 11:27 PM

Chevelle Update...

4 Attachment(s)
Engine and tranny went in today...we had the usual issues with bolts and odds and ends...some swearing...but it all happened. Still lots of detail work to do, install radiator, new inner fenders, trim out the engine bay, etc.

The boys did a good job.

WILMASBOYL78 06-03-2022 10:43 PM

Brakes..???

We have made good progress on the Chevelle Refresh...trying to finish up a few things. The car is a clone, it came with a Pontiac brake booster and master [70 model year]...Gino ordered a repro booster, master and pro valve setup for 69 with PDB.

Went to help with 'bleeding' today...he had bench bled the MC. I brought my Mite-Mac vacuum gizmo...to help the process. Rear brakes would not bleed :hmmm: I doubled checked the MC rod and setup, looks correct...front brakes would bleed.

Next step we disconnected rear line from the prop. valve on the driver's side frame...pushed on the pedal and hardly anything, just a few drips. Started the car to get vacuum assist, same thing. Can that valve be bad???

I'm not a brake expert, but I have never had this issue before...maybe cause I'm a Nova guy :rolleyes2:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-wilma

**other than this, the car is looking great. Underhood detail is nice...runs pretty well [one small exhaust leak]...he is anxious to get out on the road :3gears: