The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Raised White Letter Tires Cleaning- Cant Clean Well (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175640)

RALLY 05-18-2023 12:25 PM

Raised White Letter Tires Cleaning- Cant Clean Well

Guys what is the best way to clean raised white letter tires? I have tried everything. I heard tires release oils on the white letters that continue to cause a brownish stain. Very frustrating to keep these clean. Any input other than white letter cleaners that are on the market.

X66 714 05-18-2023 12:29 PM

Old school style was Ajax or equivalent & a scrub brush....Joe

napa68 05-18-2023 12:54 PM

SOS pads work well.

The Westly's white wall bleach seems to have been toned down so much. Not near as effective as it used to be.

The other thing I do, is hit the tire (off the car) with my steam cleaner. It seems to me that the heat opens up the pores of the surface prior to scrubbing. IMO, it yields a result.

RALLY 05-18-2023 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X66 714 (Post 1622741)
Old school style was Ajax or equivalent & a scrub brush....Joe

Hey Joe, yes tried Ajax and a scrub brush. Not the results i want. Appreciate the input though.

RALLY 05-18-2023 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napa68 (Post 1622742)
SOS pads work well.

The Westly's white wall bleach seems to have been toned down so much. Not near as effective as it used to be.

The other thing I do, is hit the tire (off the car) with my steam cleaner. It seems to me that the heat opens up the pores of the surface prior to scrubbing. IMO, it yields a result.

Yes tried SOS pads and Westley's still doesnt cut it. Steam cleaner sounds like a plan. Thanks.

RALLY 05-18-2023 01:43 PM

From what i read the oils release from the rubber and surface on the white letters on the tires. Heard a sealer of some sort to stop these oils bleeding thru. I tried the tire paint pen, did not like that at all.

olredalert 05-18-2023 02:08 PM

----Try dabbing lacquer thinner on one letter carefully and see how that works. It works for me!.....Bill S

X66 714 05-18-2023 02:41 PM

I know on the wide white walls, they say never let the black part of the tire touch the white wall. If they were ever stacked together without a barrier, that could happen. Sorry the Ajax didn't work...Joe

RALLY 05-18-2023 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X66 714 (Post 1622749)
I know on the wide white walls, they say never let the black part of the tire touch the white wall. If they were ever stacked together without a barrier, that could happen. Sorry the Ajax didn't work...Joe

Joe i believe this is what happened to my tires when i had them shipped UPS to my home. Tires were stacked on top of each other with a tough clear wrap and they rubbed a lot over time. Now its a challenge to get them cleaned up looking white again. Good point.

RALLY 05-18-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1622748)
----Try dabbing lacquer thinner on one letter carefully and see how that works. It works for me!.....Bill S

Thanks Bill i will give this a try.