The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Tesla Plaid drag race (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168251)

Charley Lillard 08-03-2021 12:47 AM

Tesla Plaid drag race

Fun video....

scuncio 08-03-2021 01:08 AM

The Plaid is insane.

I have spent most of my career in the EV business and things are just getting started for the EV supercar market. That said, they are not nearly as fun to hammer on as an ICE car.

Lynn 08-03-2021 01:14 AM

Awesome.

Charley Lillard 08-03-2021 01:19 AM

Low 9's with a street car.

Bill Pritchard 08-03-2021 01:23 AM

Yeah, it's fast....but the almost complete absence of sound doesn't cut it for me :dunno:

R68GTO 08-03-2021 01:26 AM

Usually when I watch a drag race video, my wife says "turn the volume down"! She never said a word with this one:wink:

Too Many Projects 08-03-2021 03:10 AM

That's like watching weeds grow in my yard...totally uninteresting.

Mr70 08-03-2021 12:27 PM

Hit & Run accidents are about to reach and all time new high.

Tenney 08-03-2021 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a boat, too. Like a St. Petersburg retiree's Lexus, until you nail it. And make sure stuff's nailed-down when you do, or you'll go full Jackson Pollock w/the Grey Poupon on lil 'ol Garfield stuck to the back window! Kinda silly, but it's a good weird - you'll laugh w/it and at it ...

RobR 08-03-2021 02:06 PM

There’s something about having all the torque the motors offer the moment you peg the pedal.
Wiley E. Coyote would have caught Road Runner in this car.

Lynn 08-03-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1557560)
Yeah, it's fast....but the almost complete absence of sound doesn't cut it for me :dunno:

I am guessing that the first equestrian rider to lose a race to an automobile complained that the auto didn't make horse hoof sounds.

Pretty darn sure that even Bill would get used to the silence after nailing that pedal on the right a few times. We all resist change. Human nature. To me, fast is fast. If they can make it handle well (I don't know) in the twisties, I am in.

markinnaples 08-03-2021 03:12 PM

Meh. Not sure what I think of EV's to be honest. I think there is potential, but I hate the lies that underlie the entire deal. The electric to charge them has to come from somewhere and the belief that they're so much better than ICE vehicles when factored from the materials and the needed electricity over time just annoys me.
Maybe if they were put on a fair and level plane with ICE vehicles, I'd appreciate them more. I also am not a fan of the range situation and definitely suffer from range anxiety. The synthetic fuel idea that Porsche is exploring is another alternative that is very intriguing.

jdv69z 08-03-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1557620)
I am guessing that the first equestrian rider to lose a race to an automobile complained that the auto didn't make horse hoof sounds.

Pretty darn sure that even Bill would get used to the silence after nailing that pedal on the right a few times. We all resist change. Human nature. To me, fast is fast. If they can make it handle well (I don't know) in the twisties, I am in.

And lots of people still like riding horses.

Tenney 08-03-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1557620)

It does make the coconut sounds from Monty Python and the Holy Grail upon request, Lynn, and the horn offers a variety of farts, if you want. Figure Elon's a one-man focus group back at the plant?

Plaid's pretty much your girlfriend's dad's New Yorker (if it also raided the liquor cabinet).

Pro Stock John 08-03-2021 10:03 PM

9.08 I think the the current best for a Plaid.

I'm not a fan of the bland styling of Teslas, but it's pretty amazing what sort of power this model can make. Taycan is much cooler looking, and 10.20's is badass... Too bad this model Taycan is over $200K.

Lynn 08-03-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdv69z (Post 1557657)
And lots of people still like riding horses.

I like riding horses. I wouldn't dream of commuting to work via horseback.

flyingn 08-03-2021 10:41 PM

sorry. Teslas are butt ugly and boring to watch

markjohnson 08-07-2021 03:40 AM

We now live in the realm of showroom-stock vehicles that require an NHRA-mandated parachute. Never thought I’d live to see the day but then again I’m a dinosaur that will always have one foot in the past with difficulty accepting new technology. How long before an AARP member drives one of these off the dealer lot straight to an NHRA National Event and qualifies for Super Comp’s 8.90 index class?

njsteve 08-07-2021 01:00 PM

I see a niche here boys...and we are the exact SOB's to do it:

NHRAARP here we come!!!

Too Many Projects 08-07-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 1558159)
I see a niche here boys...and we are the exact SOB's to do it:

NHRAARP here we come!!!

I might give it a try. Would be fun to slam thru the gears with that much torque...:laugh:

COPO 08-08-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1558197)
I might give it a try. Would be fun to slam thru the gears with that much torque...:laugh:

Problem is Teslas are one speed, so no banging gears. :-)

Too Many Projects 08-08-2021 11:59 AM

Yep, no real skill or coordination required to have a fast car. Wake it up with your phone and have it drive semi autonomously...:rolleyes2:

Tenney 08-20-2021 03:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUB1z5wr5p8

McCune 08-20-2021 04:52 PM

130K verse 2 plus million.

Tenney 08-21-2021 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

turbo69bird 12-14-2022 12:03 PM

Ever wonder what happens when they regulate the HP on these cars? They made a 1020 HP grocery getter (can you imagine the buzz if GM had made this first ) guys say, “ I wish I bought a 427 camaro I wish I bought a RAIV I wish I had a Swiss cheese Catalina or a thubderbolt.” You do know this car smokes all those? And it smokes lambos! I know I smoked all three of my buddies lambos w my MODEL X PLAID it’s a SUV that seats 6 !
Let me say that again, my 6 seater will SMOKE my buddies lambos, your stock 427 Camaros, my RAIV car in prepped blueprinted race trim, smokes my hellcat Durango , smokes pretty much everything stock I can think of, and you guys aren’t running out and buying one and moth balling it. When the government says enough is enough w this 1020 HP stuff for regular people you don’t think these are gonna be worth stupid money?

I’m No greenie and these cars really aren’t green, you have to destroy the earth for minerals that came from space to build them plus all the fossil fuels to build them . Just not a green thing at all that parts Is BS right now . What it is however is a game changer! A disrupter . This car has changed everything. Clicks off 10s at 139 all day after it drives me to the track and back.
The model S plaid clicks off low 9s! And they are anything but boring to drive, trust me you still have your hands full.
I can’t believe guys on this website as well as many other car forums haven’t just jumped all over these cars . Best car I’ve ever driven so far. And I’ve had some bad ass cars.
Fun like you can’t imagine to drive, quick bursts it’s a blast? Silent and stealthy, yet comfortable, not calling any attention but still has its own amazing sound!
All I can say is I think you guys are missing out on something really special here .

turbo69bird 12-14-2022 02:41 PM

Hadn’t seen this at the time I posted that but it seems relevant now.

https://youtu.be/lLBU3SgmG-Q

dustinm 12-14-2022 03:00 PM

EDIT this reply was started well before your second reply but was interrupted by phone calls.

turbo69bird, this would be the thing to do if you could be guarantied it wouldnt burn down as the battery ages/degrades. We produce a small electric piece of equipment with 3 75lbs Li batteries and they cant get below 10% charge or we risk fire just on the shelf - thats brand new.

turbo69bird 12-15-2022 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinm (Post 1608343)
EDIT this reply was started well before your second reply but was interrupted by phone calls.

turbo69bird, this would be the thing to do if you could be guarantied it wouldnt burn down as the battery ages/degrades. We produce a small electric piece of equipment with 3 75lbs Li batteries and they cant get below 10% charge or we risk fire just on the shelf - thats brand new.

There’s risks with everything that’s what insurance is for …
But I get your point.

Seems that’s the price you pay (currently) for a 9 or 10 second time slips in a Family car or SUV dead stock. Imagine when people figure out how to MOD these cars which we all know WILL happen.
Anyway Im just stating what I thought was obvious once behind the wheel of one, but being it’s such a disrupter I expect some pushback. someone has to be the one to get out there promote new ideas .

I’ve always been a hardcore ICE kinda guy but this one clearly destroys all my misconceptions about these cars . It’s not really a new idea my friend has one from 1908 but this is a much different beast. At the turn of the century electric cars were outselling gas cars. This will likely fade too but who knows. Either way I thoroughly enjoy this car every time
I drive it. I Feel lucky to have not listened to all the hoopla and given it a try and figured I’d help others over that hurdle as well.
Doesn’t mean I don’t love driving the hell cat or the old Pontiacs I do , but this is a VERY rewarding car in so many ways .

Pro Stock John 12-15-2022 01:17 AM

Tesla cars look meh, but I have rode shotgun in a Plaid that's been 9.20 all stock. I'ts impressive as hell.

turbo69bird 12-15-2022 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All three are cool as hell but only one is the fastest!

3X24SPD 12-15-2022 09:42 AM

As an NHRA Tech Inspector, I tech the Plaids on a fairly regular basis.
Not much to look at- but they are fast as hell.
They pretty much dominate everything on street nights.
They decimate the Hellcats- that's gotta be just embarrassing.
NHRA lets them go to 9.0/150MPH- with only a helmet & a fire jacket required.
I still have to tell them to slow it down or they're done- after a 150+ pass.

69M22Z 12-15-2022 10:26 AM

Wow

Pro Stock John 12-15-2022 03:14 PM

Plaid vs Veyron vs Lucid.

Skip to around 3.10 for the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyDp...ature=emb_logo

Tenney 12-15-2022 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Little P-3 you wear like a favorite pair of jeans - maybe best all-around driver I've tried. Plaid's a super-comfortable daily that corners pretty flat for a barge and feels like ya took a La-Z-Boy to Magic Mountain when you nail it. And gas is still a gas! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays ...!!

turbo69bird 12-15-2022 11:41 PM

Lucid aire sapphire starting price $250k so I could buy a model S plaid. For myself and my best friend and be about the same . As for the super car I could buy 9 of the Tesla plaid and still have a couple mil left over . �� think I’ll stick w Tesla cause he’ll probably release a patch to beat the sapphire anyway.
They had to give 10% off on lucid Aires last week and call people on the list every day for 10 days before they’d release them from thier pre orders don’t remember Tesla having to do that .

BUT that is impressive that it’s faster than a tesla plaid .

And yes it IS VERY embarrassing that my hellcat Durango, gets smoked by MY WIFES Tesla . It’s horrible .what’s funny is she prefers to drive
The hellcat and I prefer to drive the Tesla . Didn’t see that coming.

turbo69bird 12-16-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenney (Post 1608415)
Little P-3 you wear like a favorite pair of jeans - maybe best all-around driver I've tried. Plaid's a super-comfortable daily that corners pretty flat for a barge and feels like ya took a La-Z-Boy to Magic Mountain when you nail it. And gas is still a gas! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays ...!!

What is that cart hanging up in there that thing looks like it would be a blast!

Charley Lillard 12-16-2022 01:21 AM

Lucid Sapphire is also setup for cornering etc versus the Tesla. I like my Lucid so much I ordered a Sapphire the day they opened up for orders.

SPEEDYB 12-16-2022 02:10 AM

The most amazing thing about Plaid's to me is how well and aggressive
the traction control and AWD work, they never spin a tire regardless
of track conditions and are consistent as hell.
We have some fast modified Demons at Irwindale every week
and it takes about 975 hp at Demon weight to stay ahead of them!

Tenney 12-16-2022 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo69bird (Post 1608439)
What is that cart hanging up in there that thing looks like it would be a blast!

Tony/Honda 125 - good fun, indeed!