The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   The BMW 507 Ultimate Build Thread!!! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149475)

big gear head 11-20-2023 04:50 AM

I'm glad I got to talk to you and Kelly for a few minutes. The car is awesome and I hope you get to bring it back when it's finished. I wish I had got a picture of you with the car, but I didn't think of it until it was too late.

dykstra 11-20-2023 11:13 AM

Car looked great Dave! Anytime I went to talk to you, people were lined up waiting to speak with you.
Sorry I missed y’all!

Dusk Blue Z 11-20-2023 02:12 PM

Great to meet you and your wife, Dave. I followed your build here, the car looks awesome in person. Great work, you inspire me to get out in the shop today.

Mike

Jonesy 11-20-2023 03:47 PM

Saw the car and saw you but you were busy talking. Was just going to say hi and shake your hand and congratulate you on the journey.:worship: Amazing workmanship :worship:

A12pilot 11-20-2023 11:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 251185

What an awesome time. Finally met a bunch of folks I wanted too, missed a bunch I wanted to see again. I think next year I'm going to only rent a space and put a chair up just so I can have the pleasure of meeting everyone in person on this site and not miss anyone. It was such a fun time and I humbled from the compliments of my handiwork. I made a few VERY interesting contacts from the show. Just am awesome time and the new winner of the Future Fabricator Award was well deserved.

Attachment 251186

Attachment 251187

Attachment 251188

Attachment 251189

John K from the Mecum venue spent about an hour with me asking questions. Very intriguing conversation. No, it won't be going across any stage anytime soon. :no:

Then this guy showed up for a photo op....:tongue:

Attachment 251190

So good to see everyone. Wish I could have met some more in person. I was literally walking around with a smile on my face non-stop.

More to come!!

Cheers to you guys!

Dave

PS: Most flattering part was Charley. He was basically a satellite orbiting my car the entire time grabbing others to take a look. You couldn't resist! So amazing

TimG 11-21-2023 12:14 AM

It was great to meet you and your wife, Dave. I loved seeing your car in person, also.

A12pilot 11-21-2023 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good to finally meet you too, Tim! A funny thing, a judge showed up to look over and score my car. I respectfully wandered over, and a conversation ensued:

Attachment 251210

Me: "Hello, I'm Dave. May I answer any questions for you? "
Judge: "Hi. I had to look at photos to see what this was and if it looked like it."
Me: "What exactly are you looking for? "
Judge: "I don't know. You don't have a class listed so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. "
Coy Me: "I see. So you're telling me I have no class?"
Miffed Judge: "I didn't say that, you just don't have a category for your car. "
Apologetic Me: "I was just joking, and didn't mean..."
Agitated Judge: "This isn't a joke. Judging is serious. Here, sign this."
Rolling eye Emoji Me: "Total points out of 1,000....14. Awesome!"
Vicki at Awards Ceremony: "The winner with no class, Dave Molnar, with a 1957 BMW 507":biggthumpup:

I say this all in fun, but it did get judged by mistake.
Judge was honest in that he didn't know what it was or why I was even being judged. It was all a mistake (including inviting me! :tongue:)

Cheers
Dave

L16pilot 11-21-2023 01:17 PM

Dave, it was great to finally meet you in person and your 507-R is eve more impressive in person than in the pics. i am even more amazed and humbled than before!

Charley Lillard 11-21-2023 01:44 PM

I kinda wondered how and why they were judging it also. Probably just so Vicki could say. "The winner with no class, Dave Molnar, with a 1957 BMW 507":biggthumpup:

TimG 11-21-2023 01:53 PM

That's too funny......

flyingn 11-23-2023 12:43 AM

Looked great, Dave! We had to bail from bringing two cars this year, unfortunately. It would have been great to meet you

Chazman 11-23-2023 01:31 AM

Wow Dave!!!!!! Wow! Wow! Wow! I just finished this thread front to back and am speechless......except for WOW!

I was tempted to respond to your various posts, but refrained as this thread would have been an additional 10 pages.

When I saw your 507 at MCACN I had no idea. I just figured it was someone's old 507 with some fancy paperwork. I'm glad my friend educated me and was able to meet and chat with you about it for a bit. This is top shelf stuff.

Regarding the MCACN judging we discussed, my advice to them would be to simply assign max points and move along.

Damn dude, so impressed!!!!

Charlie

Too Many Projects 11-23-2023 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazman (Post 1638148)
Wow Dave!!!!!! Wow! Wow! Wow! I just finished this thread front to back and am speechless......except for WOW!

I was tempted to respond to your various posts, but refrained as this thread would have been an additional 10 pages.

When I saw your 507 at MCACN I had no idea. I just figured it was someone's old 507 with some fancy paperwork. I'm glad my friend educated me and was able to meet and chat with you about it for a bit. This is top shelf stuff.

Regarding the MCACN judging we discussed, my advice to them would be to simply assign max points and move along.

Damn dude, so impressed!!!!

Charlie

When I read your earlier comment about reading the whole thread, I was wondering how long it would take you... we've had the benefit of time and not have to go thru the whole thing at once.

And I agree on the scoring. One area is originality. That should have scored 1,000 by itself. Every part of that car is "original" to it.

Too Many Projects 11-23-2023 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley Lillard (Post 1637896)
I kinda wondered how and why they were judging it also. Probably just so Vicki could say. "The winner with no class, Dave Molnar, with a 1957 BMW 507":biggthumpup:

Hmmmm.. maybe the Yenko forum members can have a nice plaque made up for Dave to hang in his garage...:biggthumpup:

Chazman 11-23-2023 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1638152)
When I read your earlier comment about reading the whole thread, I was wondering how long it would take you... we've had the benefit of time and not have to go thru the whole thing at once.

And I agree on the scoring. One area is originality. That should have scored 1,000 by itself. Every part of that car is "original" to it.

I started Saturday night. There are very few 100 page threads where I don't lose interest by page 2.

A12pilot 11-23-2023 06:31 PM

Thanks, Charlie. You said you were going to do it, and you did!:laugh::biggthumpup: I’m glad you were able to get through my lunacy!:tongue: Now you can see why I just couldn’t explain it all in mere minutes.

This show was so epic on so many levels. Many great contacts, many great introductions, and many friendships to cherish over the years.

Thanks for all the compliments and following along. Next year there will be such memorable moments as Paint; where’s my roller? EFI; why did I even think that was a good idea? And Upholstery; covering up mistakes, one piece of fabric at a time!:bs:

She comes home Monday and the road testing begins. Hopefully some good driving videos :biggthumpup:

Cheers:beers:
Dave

Lee Stewart 11-23-2023 07:46 PM

https://images2.imgbox.com/e7/ff/hI4YKhvO_o.png

1959 BMW 507 Roadster

LOT R790 // KISSIMMEE 2024

3168cc/150 HP V-8, 4-Speed, No. 242 of 252 Built

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1106023/1...-507-roadster/

Chazman 11-24-2023 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1638203)
Thanks, Charlie. You said you were going to do it, and you did!:laugh::biggthumpup: I’m glad you were able to get through my lunacy!:tongue: Now you can see why I just couldn’t explain it all in mere minutes.

This show was so epic on so many levels. Many great contacts, many great introductions, and many friendships to cherish over the years.

Thanks for all the compliments and following along. Next year there will be such memorable moments as Paint; where’s my roller? EFI; why did I even think that was a good idea? And Upholstery; covering up mistakes, one piece of fabric at a time!:bs:

She comes home Monday and the road testing begins. Hopefully some good driving videos :biggthumpup:

Dave

For sure. I really had to go through the whole thread to get the full impact of what you've done here. Every detail impressive - but those MUTT/frying pan wheels, though........

A12pilot 11-24-2023 03:20 PM

Everyone seemed to love those wheels. :scholar: Plus, I break down on the side of the road and I can make a non-stick dinner!:wink:

Car comes home Monday!

Dave

Too Many Projects 11-24-2023 05:24 PM

You could incorporate that as part of the display next year !! Have a small camp stove and cooking supplies in the trunk as a survival kit for a break down. Make another center cap and have it on the stove. Fashion a spare lug wrench to have a spatula on the handle. I'd like to see the grumpy judge's face when he saw that... "This isn't a joke....judging is serious business"..:grin:

njsteve 11-25-2023 11:08 PM

Dave, you do realize that you have created an actual 1:1 scale Transformer? It converts from a BMW into a cooking stove.

You are truly one the immortals that Budweiser classified as the "Real Men of Genius". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsC3...nnel=zatoblade

Hawkeye 01-06-2024 11:30 AM

Real versus Dave’s version, I would take Dave’s!!

2 Attachment(s)
Got to see this one up close. I like Dave’s version better.

A12pilot 01-06-2024 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, thank you for the compliment!:worship:

53 miles on it so far and nothing catastrophic, so that's good. All on track for disassembly later this month in preps for paint! :cool2:

More to come!!

Cheers
Dave

olredalert 01-06-2024 04:12 PM

----Dave,,,Are the window cranks correct on the red Beemer pictured above??? They sort of look like billet style hot rod stuff.....Bill S

Too Many Projects 01-06-2024 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1641647)
----Dave,,,Are the window cranks correct on the red Beemer pictured above??? They sort of look like billet style hot rod stuff.....Bill S

I was thinking the entire door panel looked modernized and what is the big screen in the middle of the dash ? Looks like a audio/gps display ?

A12pilot 01-06-2024 06:48 PM

Everything stock and correct inside and the door panels are 100% stock. Window handles, door actuators are correct too. The large black thing in the middle of the dash is the speaker grille/ cover.

Cheers
Dave

PeteLeathersac 01-06-2024 08:01 PM

I like Dave’s car better, especially the ‘Fudge’ Wheels not seen w/ pic above.:worship:
:beers:
~ Pete

A12pilot 01-13-2024 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No sale again at $1.4m. This isn't the venue for these cars and the bad part is that this one now has the stigma of a boomerang auction lot. Just keeps circling back. Too bad.

Attachment 253844

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 01-28-2024 08:37 PM

9 Attachment(s)
There's 100 miles on the car now, and luckily, only minor items that needed fixing. I turned my attention to the front bumper which I needed to shorten up since it was way too wide. I did that to the back bumper which required about 6" to be taken out. The front needed 8 total. This now fits correctly.

Attachment 254620

Attachment 254621

Attachment 254622

Attachment 254623

Attachment 254624

Attachment 254625

Attachment 254626

Attachment 254627

Attachment 254628

This week I'll install my 2x2 intake and once I know it's running correctly, the disassembly will start for paint and a few other things I still need to fab on. The grille openings need to be massaged to fit the real parts, then all the trim heads to the chrome shop.

I'm in talks with a custom wheel maker to have a set of polished aluminum wheels made. Design will be like the Rudge, but a heck of a lot lighter.

More to come!

Cheers
Dave

Steve Shauger 01-28-2024 10:10 PM

Love it Dave. So many amazing improvements you've made in this from scratch build. Love every update and look forward to seeing it painted and more tricks up your sleeve. Your ingenuity is amazing!!!!!

A12pilot 01-29-2024 12:53 AM

Thanks, Steve! I’m probably going to get side tracked with a couple more projects shortly, but progress will continue!

Cheers
Dave

TimG 01-29-2024 12:56 PM

It looks great, Dave.....

olredalert 01-29-2024 02:09 PM

----As usual, just bitchin, Dave!....Bill S

A12pilot 03-24-2024 10:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Final bodywork starts today! After the 100 mile test drive, I've decided on what needs to be changed and will start ordering those parts.

I'm hoping June/ July for final paint. Been chatting with a few upholstery shops too and one is really excited about doing my car, but it's up in Connecticut. I'd rather have the car local to me (or at least in a short flight range) to check on things when needed.

Attachment 258461

Attachment 258462

Attachment 258463

Attachment 258464

Attachment 258465

Attachment 258466

More to come!!

Cheers
Dave

Z282NV 03-24-2024 10:14 PM

So what needs to be changed Dave? It looks perfect to me.

A12pilot 03-25-2024 12:46 AM

Hi Joe,

I wasn’t happy with the transmission shifter placement, so I’m swapping out tail shafts on the T5 to the Camaro version which will put the shifter exactly where it needs to be. Those parts are headed this way. Parking brake linkage and cable routing changed. Electric window regulators to allow me to make the door panel correct with the larger lower pockets. Changing cooling fans to swirl style (straight blades sound like a F5 tornado approaching!) Floor plenum ducts for the footwell heater/vents. Inner Door latches moved/new mechanism. Higher rate coils for the back. Rear convertible top well modified a bit for more top clearance. Hardtop needs to be massaged a bit on the forward edge. Drip troughs in the hood area trunk area, and door weather stripping retainer channel installed. I think that’s about it!:hmmm::biggthumpup:

Dave

Too Many Projects 03-25-2024 12:51 AM

Are all those running changes going to be noted in the next edition of the AIM ?

big gear head 03-25-2024 12:51 AM

Your speedometer gear location might change when you change the tail housing on the transmission. BW made different main shafts for those transmissions for the different gear locations. I don't know which shaft you have and if the gear location will change or not, but just giving you a heads up so you won't be surprised.

Z282NV 03-25-2024 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1646757)
Hi Joe,

I wasn’t happy with the transmission shifter placement, so I’m swapping out
tail shafts on the T5 to the Camaro version which will put the shifter exactly where it needs to be. Those parts are
headed this way. Parking brake linkage and cable routing changed. Electric window regulators to allow me to make the door panel correct with the larger
lower pockets. Changing cooling fans to swirl style (straight blades sound like a F5 tornado approaching!) Floor plenum ducts for the footwell
heater/vents. Inner Door latches moved/new mechanism. Higher rate coils for the back. Rear convertible top well modified a bit for more top
clearance. Hardtop needs to be massaged a bit on the forward edge. Drip troughs in the hood area trunk area, and door weather stripping
retainer channel installed. I think that’s about it!:hmmm::biggthumpup:

Dave

That is very smart of you to get some
miles on it before making the final touches like interior and paint. I can't wait to see it done like the rest of us following you on this journey. :biggthumpup:

dykstra 05-08-2024 11:13 AM

Any updates Super Dave??