The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Replace outer and inner wheel well question (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142779)

jasonL78 05-11-2017 05:57 PM

Replace outer and inner wheel well question

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever attempted to replace an outer and inner wheel well with out removing the quarter? I have this GTO I'm working on (See Pontiac section) and the inner wheel wells weren't replaced correctly, another body shop hack job. He should have replaced the inners they are all beat up and I have no idea how?

You can kind of see it in this picture.

Ryan1969Chevelle 05-11-2017 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on this area of my car.

Sorry I can't answer your question but I really want any information on this subject.

Ryan

PS: The trunk support looks like a very good repop part, other than someone cut it off?

Xplantdad 05-11-2017 08:20 PM

Jason, I don't have an answer but WOW...just wow! :(

L78steve 05-11-2017 08:42 PM

It is not possible.

Schonyenko2 05-11-2017 11:33 PM

Not without doing a hacked up job like you're trying to un do. Take the qtr off. You might be able to save it. If not, what you put on will be correct. Remember, you didn't F it up. If the owner wants to cheap out again, send it. You don't need the grief. FWIW

marxjunk 05-12-2017 12:35 AM

ive done it a few times..on the GTO it has a huge wheel house and plenty of room..the one place it gets tight is the rocker to the wheel house..i trim it down and weld it back together..it can be worked and become an unable to be detect repair..it just takes time and patience....just make sure ya get some body cavity wax in there...

put the outter in place and slide the inner in dont weld anything til its all in there..and prep it 100% like youre ready to weld it before ya start sliding it in there..cuz it probably isnt comeing back out easy..

to remove, work on the inner first and get it all the way out by cutting it up etc.. and pie cut the thing to get the outer out...

the repop outers do not fit with out some work on a GTO..pretty sloppy....so it just doesnt fall in place, but its very usable and workable..it takes 2 days to do the first it seems, and then the second is just a few hours..

any competent body man can do it..IF you pay them enough to do it right..

jasonL78 05-12-2017 11:21 AM

Ok thanks guys I'm going to attempt this. I got a little bit more info on the car it was hit on the passenger side rear quarter, that is one reason the inner is all messed up. The main reason I am attempting to replace it is because the pass trunk hinge support that hooks to the inner is all messed up from the accident. I will remove the inner then the outer which will be simple since the previous guy hacked it in there. Worse case I will have to take the quarter back off. I think I can do it.

resto4u 05-18-2017 10:30 PM

It can be done, but it is very time consuming. take the inner out first. if your really careful, you might be able to back tape and only paint wheel well lip. even easier if it has wheel well mouldings.

jasonL78 05-22-2017 12:44 PM

Done, it actually took more time to get them out then to replace. They went in very easy. First install the outer then the inner. I have the car on the rotisserie which made it very easy for me. Once the outer is installed, start the inner at the rocker and slide it around to the back of the wheel well. I actually took them in and out a couple of times once I had a system.