The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercars/Musclecars-Sold listings (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Sold 1970 SS396 L-78 Chevelle Survivor (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168362)

ls6owner 08-12-2021 04:27 PM

1970 SS396 L-78 Chevelle Survivor

10 Attachment(s)
Survivor car, complete with "born with" drive train and components. M21, 3.55 posi, bench seat. 35,414 miles. I have many more photos that I will forward to anyone interested in purchasing the car, including differential stamps, transmission, pulleys etc. Car still has original paint, except for the LH rear quarter that appears to have been repainted for reasons unknown. I have owned the car for about two years and have cleaned it up a lot, but have done my best to retain it's originality. It runs and drives very well and everything works. PS has been added to the car at some point in it's life. Other than that, it is very correct.

The drivers seat has a couple spots where the seam is starting to pull apart. Not torn or separated and only about 1/2 inch long, but not perfect. The carpet and seat belts need to be detailed. I just haven't got that done yet. Also, someone "rattle canned" the gas tank and I haven't got it cleaned off yet.

Please contact me through this board and I can text or email any additional photos or information directly to you. I am not on here every day, so if I don't reply for a day or two, I am not ignoring you.

Asking price is $98,000 USD
Thank you,
Oliver

67since67 08-12-2021 04:45 PM

Double Wow, I love this car!! If I were in the market for a 70......

GLWS Oliver!

Oldss 08-12-2021 05:19 PM

Oliver, Love your car!! Had the exact one except for Forest Green with white stripes.

XXXGoldL34M20 08-12-2021 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
GLWS Oliver looks like you cleaned it up rather nicely since the last owner !
I am surprised the front head light extensions don't have the Stainless moldings under there being an early built car.
I also own an SS in the exact same Color Combo (See Photo), it is stunning to see in person this combo of Autumn Gold, Gold Vinyl roof and Saddle Bench seat. My own car and this car are one day apart on the build sheet schedule Mine being October 31 but Kansas City plant yours Atlanta. Mine has 42,000 miles but a L34 SS.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-35...pNLg6K0IE27qZU

chevelleheart 08-12-2021 07:26 PM

Good luck Oliver, …heck of a car !

Postsedan 08-12-2021 11:03 PM

A near exact 1970 Chevelle Barn Find LS6 with the same color combo....showed up on an open trailer last Saturday at the NOCC Show.

Great looking Chevelle.

GLWS.

Dan

66BoxNova 08-13-2021 06:08 PM

Wow , I really like this car.

NorCam 08-13-2021 09:15 PM

Beauty Chevelle there Oliver. I'm headed for Sask to pick up a new trailer next week and would love to be loading that one up at the same time, but need to keep focused on business for a while.

GLWS

Mr70 10-12-2021 03:21 PM

Great bones on this L-78.

SS427 10-12-2021 03:44 PM

Beautiful. This car should do very well Oliver especially in this market.

ZAPPER68 10-17-2021 04:20 AM

Beautiful Chevelle Oliver...GLWS

Timtim13 12-02-2021 07:37 PM

Hello has this sold?

chevelleheart 12-02-2021 09:52 PM

I think it’s still available,…Oliver ,….you around

SS427 12-03-2021 01:39 PM

I just sent Oliver (ls6owner) a text. I would assume he will check this tread shortly.

ls6owner 12-03-2021 03:12 PM

Hi Timtim13,
Yes it is still available. Please call me at 306 434 8160 if you would like to discuss.
Thx
Oliver

Richls5 12-03-2021 08:32 PM

I think Tim may be a scammer two posts same questions on both posts could be wrong

wayoutz 12-04-2021 12:49 AM

hey guys, whats the process getting this back to USA and what Duty taxes go along with it?

69M22Z 12-04-2021 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayoutz (Post 1573580)
hey guys, whats the process getting this back to USA and what Duty taxes go along with it?

Cool

450hp 12-05-2021 02:52 AM

Clock

Was the clock added, it's not on the build sheet. Was just wondering. Was that common.

wayoutz 12-06-2021 06:43 PM

Love the car and very interested but no idea how to bring this car back into the US on a bill of sale

ls6owner 12-07-2021 01:54 PM

450hp, with regards to your question, the car does not have U14 and I thought the clock was standard equipment. I don't think it has been added.

Wayoutz, I will give you a call later today to discuss.

Thx
Oliver

wayoutz 12-07-2021 10:18 PM

Sounds good

firstgenaddict 01-15-2022 06:47 PM

About 2 years ago there was an original never restored triple gold bench seat deluxe seat belt L78 for sale in the North Carolina Mountains... not far from Bristol TN. Is this the same car?

ls6owner 01-18-2022 01:11 PM

I'm not sure about all of it's previous history but it could be. It came from that part of the world before it was brought to Canada. It does have deluxe seat belts so it is likely the car you are mentioning. It was put through an auction and was a no sale. It ended up at a dealer in Florida and was brought to Canada in early 2019.

70LS6454 01-18-2022 11:48 PM

Very nice car.

ls6owner 01-20-2022 03:43 PM

An update-a previous owner has contacted me and it is the car mentioned by firstgenaddict in post #23. If anyone has information from that portion if it's life, it would be great to hear about it.
Thx
Oliver

wayoutz 01-20-2022 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls6owner (Post 1579140)
An update-a previous owner has contacted me and it is the car mentioned by firstgenaddict in post #23. If anyone has information from that portion if it's life, it would be great to hear about it.
Thx
Oliver

oliver I would have bought this car if the border crap wasent involved.
What a beautiful car

Zedder 01-20-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayoutz (Post 1579152)
oliver I would have bought this car if the border crap wasent involved.
What a beautiful car

What border crap? I sell cars to US buyers and brought one in from the US just this past summer. It’s really not difficult.

ls6owner 01-22-2022 04:27 PM

Folks,
I thought I should add some clarification to this discussion so people aren't afraid to move cars across the border. Getting the car back into the US was not going to be difficult or costly. I called Homeland Security and got clarification that I could export the car back to the US with a previous title and a Bill of Sale. The car was properly imported to Canada with all applicable taxes and fees paid. However, the car has never been registered to actually put a license on it in Canada and has only been driven on short term permits.

Where this appears to get tricky is what is required in a potential buyers state to actually title the car in a new owners name in the state in question. Some states appear to require an actual registration from Canada as well as a previous title and a Bill of Sale. To get a registration (I have previous titles and a BOS) I could go register and put plates on the car on Monday but would incur provincial sales tax of about 6K CAD so I would have to add that to the cost of the car, or absorb it, which I am not prepared to do.

This additional cost, plus shipping, plus the applicable state tax got pretty significant.

Any car that has been registered in Canada, or was going into a state that would accept a Bill of Sale and previous titles to issue a title in a new owners name, would only incur the cost of the state taxes and shipping, of course.

I hope this information helps with the process. I have exported a car to the US before, so am familiar with that process, but am not familiar with the rules in various states.

Wayoutz, I hope you don't mind me sharing a bit of information publicly about our discussion, but I didn't want people on either side of the border to think it is terribly difficult to import/export a musclecar. An EPA Form 3250 must be completed in advance and a vehicle that is 21 years old and in unmodified configuration is exempted from EPA regs under code E on the form. There are many other exemptions on this form for things like race cars etc. In addition, Form 7501 needs to be completed by Homeland Security at the border. A shipper will handle all this for a buyer but I don't know how much they charge for that part of the process.

From my perspective, the process to get the car across the US border is fairly easy. I've never personally imported a car into Canada, but I believe that process is fairly easy to navigate as well. Again, using a shipper takes care of all this, but comes with a cost.
Thx
Oliver

Zedder 01-22-2022 04:41 PM

To sell the car in Canada (at least in Ontario) or the US, the car must be registered in the seller’s name to legally transfer ownership. The car cannot be exported to the US without the title and bill of sale in the same person’s name also - it won’t pass customs inspection. I know people do sell cars without registering them, but the Ministry can deny the new owner from registering the car if the ownership/title and bill of sale are not signed by the same person. I know this first hand because it happened to me years ago with a 72 Corvette. They would not allow me to register the car in Ontario and it was an Ontario registered car at the time. I had to go back to the seller and he refunded my money as he didn’t want spend the money to pay the tax to register the car in his name.

ls6owner 01-22-2022 08:07 PM

Thx Mark. I am going to have to do a bit more digging. I know I can register it in Saskatchewan with the BOS but no registration from the province it was imported into because I had to present the BOS to permit the car. However, in SK, permitting the car does not trigger paying the provincial tax bill.

Also, over the years, I have bought several cars that had been parked for a long time (the last one was a '65 Mustang that had been parked since 1980) without any record of previous registration and all I had to do was present the Bill of Sale.

That said, the previous car that I exported a few years ago was registered at the time so that is why I called Homeland Security about the L-78. I explained the reason for not having a registration and was told that the Bill of Sale and previous title was sufficient to export the car back to the US. I didn't ask Homeland Security anything about titling a car in various states as I figured that was not their jurisdiction.

I am going to double check before I end up in a situation like you describe where I sell the car, and then have the buyer unable to title it in their home state unless I register it here first. The other option is just register it and add the cost to the price but I'd rather not and save a buyer some money, if possible. If I end up keeping it, I do plan on registering it eventually so I can drive it a bit more.

I appreciate the information.
Oliver

Zedder 01-22-2022 08:28 PM

It seems like they are getting pickier about paperwork with every year that passes. Absolutely the right idea to check it out fully to prevent any headaches.

In 96 I bought an LS5 Corvette down at the Bloomington auction. I flew back the following week and drove the car home to Ontario. I had the title and bill of sale when I hit the border and presented them to customs. 10 minutes later I was on my way home with clearance. Got the car saftied and then went to register it and they wouldn’t let me. The seller had titled the car in his and his wife’s name, but only he signed the bill of sale. Both had signed the title over to me and they still wouldn’t let me register it. I had to get him to FedEx me a new bill of sale with both signatures. I’m sure another ministry clerk would have let it slide, but not the one I got that day!

wayoutz 01-23-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls6owner (Post 1579398)
Folks,
I thought I should add some clarification to this discussion so people aren't afraid to move cars across the border. Getting the car back into the US was not going to be difficult or costly. I called Homeland Security and got clarification that I could export the car back to the US with a previous title and a Bill of Sale. The car was properly imported to Canada with all applicable taxes and fees paid. However, the car has never been registered to actually put a license on it in Canada and has only been driven on short term permits.

Where this appears to get tricky is what is required in a potential buyers state to actually title the car in a new owners name in the state in question. Some states appear to require an actual registration from Canada as well as a previous title and a Bill of Sale. To get a registration (I have previous titles and a BOS) I could go register and put plates on the car on Monday but would incur provincial sales tax of about 6K CAD so I would have to add that to the cost of the car, or absorb it, which I am not prepared to do.

This additional cost, plus shipping, plus the applicable state tax got pretty significant.

Any car that has been registered in Canada, or was going into a state that would accept a Bill of Sale and previous titles to issue a title in a new owners name, would only incur the cost of the state taxes and shipping, of course.

I hope this information helps with the process. I have exported a car to the US before, so am familiar with that process, but am not familiar with the rules in various states.

Wayoutz, I hope you don't mind me sharing a bit of information publicly about our discussion, but I didn't want people on either side of the border to think it is terribly difficult to import/export a musclecar. An EPA Form 3250 must be completed in advance and a vehicle that is 21 years old and in unmodified configuration is exempted from EPA regs under code E on the form. There are many other exemptions on this form for things like race cars etc. In addition, Form 7501 needs to be completed by Homeland Security at the border. A shipper will handle all this for a buyer but I don't know how much they charge for that part of the process.

From my perspective, the process to get the car across the US border is fairly easy. I've never personally imported a car into Canada, but I believe that process is fairly easy to navigate as well. Again, using a shipper takes care of all this, but comes with a cost.
Thx
Oliver

Hi Oliver its ok to share this information. I just cant believe no one has bought this chevelle yet. I personally love it

Zedder 01-23-2022 02:51 PM

Oliver, I was just reading the Saskatchewan registration info and see that all you need is a BOS to register the car there as you mentioned. Is it possible to register it as “unfit”, meaning it is not roadworthy to put plates on because it hasn’t been inspected yet, but it proves your ownership? We can do that in Ontario, but it still triggers payment of sales tax. If you could do that without paying taxes, I believe you could export the car to the US and other Provinces.

BJCHEV396 01-23-2022 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedder (Post 1579439)
It seems like they are getting pickier about paperwork with every year that passes. Absolutely the right idea to check it out fully to prevent any headaches.

In 96 I bought an LS5 Corvette down at the Bloomington auction. I flew back the following week and drove the car home to Ontario. I had the title and bill of sale when I hit the border and presented them to customs. 10 minutes later I was on my way home with clearance. Got the car saftied and then went to register it and they wouldn’t let me. The seller had titled the car in his and his wife’s name, but only he signed the bill of sale. Both had signed the title over to me and they still wouldn’t let me register it. I had to get him to FedEx me a new bill of sale with both signatures. I’m sure another ministry clerk would have let it slide, but not the one I got that day!

So true....depends who serves you at M.O.T.

ls6owner 01-31-2022 02:28 PM

Hi Mark, I did check on your suggestion. I spoke to an SGI agent as was told that there is an unfit classification in Saskatchewan but it stays with the vehicle forever, and is only used if the vehicle is truly unfit to license and it will be that way for the rest of it's life. At the end of the day, the best solution is probably to just license it and pay the taxes. It just irritates me to pay the government for no good reason as this car is not one that will actually use the infrastructure that our tax dollars are supposed to be used for, to any degree. Oh well, there is my rant. I appreciate the information. Thx Oliver

Zedder 01-31-2022 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear that Oliver. Our Unfit category lets us register a car in our name until we get a safety certificate on it to make it roadworthy. Once you get it certified, it gets registered as "fit" again. We do have to pay the required taxes though even if it is registered as "unfit".

ls6owner 04-25-2022 03:16 PM

Sold, pending full payment. Thx SYC

chevelleheart 04-26-2022 12:07 AM

Congrats Oliver

ls6owner 05-02-2022 02:30 PM

The car is sold.