The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   What’s left to do for you? Time to get ready! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177225)

A12pilot 11-06-2023 12:37 PM

What’s left to do for you? Time to get ready!

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings fellow Yenkonians!

It’s getting close! MCACN is just around the corner. If you’re bringing a car, what’s left to do to get it ready? Electrical gremlins sorted out? Just a polish and wax? :eek2::scholar: If you’re just bringing yourself, what’s left to do to get your ownself ready? :hmmm: Dinner reservations? New comfy shoes? 24pk of Schlitz?:naughty:

I’ve got to get a photo book of my build together along with getting proper Elvis attire to complete the look:wink:

So for you all, what’s left to do!?:headbang:

Cheers
Dave

Too Many Projects 11-06-2023 12:46 PM

1958 Elvis attire is OK. Elvis attire 1976, please don't...:no:

napa68 11-06-2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1636444)
24pk of Schlitz?:naughty:

I like the way you think!

67since67 11-06-2023 04:03 PM

Quote:

Electrical gremlins sorted out? Just a polish and wax?

Exorcized the electrical gremlin three weeks ago :eek2:

Polish and wax completed last week:biggthumpup:

Loaded and ready to roll. :beers:

Bill W

TimG 11-06-2023 04:31 PM

What car are you bringing, Bill? I just went through that at our Texas Regional. Last minute bulb changes, mounting original tires, ect. My gas gauge decided to not go past half empty even if it was empty. I didn’t have time to replace and they don’t like more than 1/4 tank of gas. A visual check of the tank showed I only had a gallon or two of fuel.

Lynn 11-06-2023 05:14 PM

I am really bummed. We had hoped to attend this year, but simply cannot work it into our schedule. Hopefully we can make it in 2024.

Too Many Projects 11-06-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1636474)
I am really bummed. We had hoped to attend this year, but simply cannot work it into our schedule. Hopefully we can make it in 2024.

Sorry to hear this. Was looking forward to meeting you.
As soon as you acquire a 2024 calendar, open it to November and write MCACN across the entire week before Thanksgiving ...:flag:
Oh, I suppose you could put it on a phone calendar now ?? No idea how to do that, so no help there...:no:

big gear head 11-06-2023 08:08 PM

I've got to go over our daily driver and make sure it's ready for the trip. Then just pack cloths and head north.

Canuck 11-06-2023 08:15 PM

Flights and Hotels book,social engagements arranged. All signed up for another year of judging at Vintage Certification. Looking forward to seeing many friends and acquaintances in person and catching up on bull%$&3, I mean good war stories from the past year.

Too Many Projects 11-06-2023 08:58 PM

Don't forget your parka's, I'm bringing my winter coat this year. They don't call Chicago the windy city for nothing.

Mr70 11-06-2023 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1636510)
..They don't call Chicago the windy city for nothing.

That's not why it's called that,has nothing to do with the weather.

Too Many Projects 11-06-2023 09:33 PM

Many believe it's all the windy politicians, but old timers claimed it was the weather.

Too Many Projects 11-06-2023 09:40 PM

From the History channel...

The origins of Chicago’s famous nickname are not entirely clear. The most obvious explanation is that it comes from the frigid breezes that blow off Lake Michigan and sweep through the city’s streets. However, another popular theory holds that it was coined in reference to Chicago’s bloviating residents and politicians, who were deemed to be “full of hot air.” Proponents of the “windbag” view usually cite an 1890 article by New York Sun newspaper editor Charles Dana. At the time, Chicago was competing with New York to host the 1893 World’s Fair (Chicago eventually won), and Dana is said to have cautioned his readers to ignore the “nonsensical claims of that windy city.” Dana is often credited with popularizing the “Windy City” moniker, yet according to David Wilton’s book “Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends,” researchers have never managed to find his original article. Many now dismiss it as a myth.
Even if Dana’s editorial does exist, it’s unlikely that either he or the World’s Fair debate were responsible for popularizing Chicago’s nickname. Etymologist Barry Popik, a longtime researcher of the Windy City question, has uncovered evidence that the name was already well established in print by the 1870s—several years before Dana. Popik also dug up references showing that it functioned as both a literal reference to Chicago’s windy weather and a metaphorical jab at its supposedly boastful citizenry. Many of the citations are found in newspapers from other Midwest cities, which were in a rivalry with Chicago over who was the region’s main metropolis. For example, an 1876 headline in the Cincinnati Enquirer used the phrase “That Windy City” in reference to a tornado that swept through Chicago. “The Cincinnati Enquirer’s use is clearly double-edged,” Popik told the Chicago Tribune in 2006. “They used the term for windy speakers who were full of wind, and there was a wind-storm in Chicago. It’s both at once.” Since Chicago had previously used its lake breezes to promote itself as a summertime vacation spot, Popik and others conclude that the “Windy City” name may have started as a reference to weather and then taken on a double meaning as the city’s profile rose in the late-19th century.
Interestingly, although Chicago may have gotten its nickname in part because of its fierce winds, it’s not the breeziest town in the United States. In fact, meteorological surveys have often rated the likes of Boston, New York and San Francisco as having higher average wind speeds.

By: Evan Andrews

Lynn 11-06-2023 10:17 PM

You can include OKC as another city with higher average wind speed than Chicago.

McCune 11-06-2023 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3rd time attending and first time with a car. Come find me in the back of the show as this car is going to be Legend judged and I have high anxiety! I think it is pretty special and hope you guys like it. Just waiting for the battery to arrive Wednesday.

R68GTO 11-06-2023 11:42 PM

Nothing to get ready....just roadtripping up and back in same day. Long day but worth it!

67since67 11-07-2023 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimG (Post 1636470)
What car are you bringing, Bill? I just went through that at our Texas Regional. Last minute bulb changes, mounting original tires, ect. My gas gauge decided to not go past half empty even if it was empty. I didn’t have time to replace and they don’t like more than 1/4 tank of gas. A visual check of the tank showed I only had a gallon or two of fuel.

The black El Camino Tim. This one's electrical gremlin was so bazaar I may do a quick thread on it.

My Corvette has always scored 100% on ops, until the last time it was judged. The rear compartment bulb didn't light. :shocked: It worked before loading, and by the time it was in the building it has worked ever since! :confused2: :mad2:

back to regular programing...

RPOLS3 11-07-2023 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

So for you all, what’s left to do!?:headbang:

Cheers
Dave

Swap meet junk staged and cooler starting to fill up......

Dave's picking up the cookies on his way up.

Too Many Projects 11-07-2023 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1636526)
The black El Camino Tim. This one's electrical gremlin was so bazaar I may do a quick thread on it.

Bad ground for a tail light ?

In the late 70's, I had people coming to me with C10's that when they stepped on the brake, the dash lights would come on, or they would flash with the signal on. All kinds of crazy stuff. I eventually learned to just run a new ground wire from the box to the frame and it all went away.

67since67 11-07-2023 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1636531)
Bad ground for a tail light ?

I wish it would have been that simple Mitch. I did a thread to explain the issue. :beers:

TimG 11-07-2023 12:41 PM

Good thread on the problem with the solenoid, Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and viewing the cars.

L78_Nova 11-07-2023 02:20 PM

MCACN Bound

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 250668

Get the hood back on, lots of cleaning and hope for decent driving weather.
Green Bastard will be there !

Gary

dykstra 11-08-2023 11:17 AM

Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Jonesy 11-08-2023 01:40 PM

Driving down Friday. Got some parts to sell off and meet up with a couple of guys.
Then heading back Sunday.
Looking forward to meeting and seeing old acquaintances.
Gotta eat a pizza and get some Chi town hotdogs at least once while Im down :beers:

RPOLS3 11-10-2023 12:07 AM

The weather forecast looks pretty amazing for this time of year - 67 degrees on that Friday.

Too Many Projects 11-10-2023 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R68GTO (Post 1636524)
Nothing to get ready....just roadtripping up and back in same day. Long day but worth it!

I did that twice several years ago, Jim and yes, 16 hours in the car and another 8 at the show is a loooong day. I started staying 1 night, then 2, now that I'm helping Steve with the Certification area, it's 3 nights.

Too Many Projects 11-10-2023 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPOLS3 (Post 1636807)
The weather forecast looks pretty amazing for this time of year - 67 degrees on that Friday.

A forecast for 7 days out is 6 days too far to be accurate around here. I'm still bringing my parka dammit... :smile:

McCune 11-10-2023 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Battery arrived, going to load on Sunday. Leaving Monday from Southwest Utah and will arrive on Thursday. If the Weather holds, it will be great for the long drive.

carnut4life 11-10-2023 02:00 AM

Great looking car Jim, can't wait to see it and all the others in person next weekend! Loved your thread on the NastyZ28 site, here's a link to it if anyone else wants to read it.

https://nastyz28.com/threads/mccunes...rs-z28.301609/

Too Many Projects 11-10-2023 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCune (Post 1636812)
Battery arrived, going to load on Sunday. Leaving Monday from Southwest Utah and will arrive on Thursday. If the Weather holds, it will be great for the long drive.

Looks great. Long haul and thru the mountains. Hope the weather cooperates for a smooth, safe drive for you.

Are you going north to I70 to Denver, I76 north to I80 and across ?

McCune 11-10-2023 02:26 AM

I80. Should be good weather. Thanks for positive thoughts! So excited.