The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Preservation forum (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Original owner factory paint '65 Corvette refresh (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175485)

67since67 05-01-2023 11:15 PM

Original owner factory paint '65 Corvette refresh

6 Attachment(s)
Not as much preservation as maintenance.

My good friend Brian and I went to the farm Saturday (same farmstead where it resided from new) and picked up My cousin's '65 Corvette that he ordered new. He is no longer able to drive or work on it, our mission is to perform maintenance and address a short list of needs so that his wife and kids can take him for rides.

I have a vivid memory of driving this Vette at age 15, in the spring of 1965 with just over 400 miles on the odometer.

I will update progress. - Bill W

67since67 05-01-2023 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Original window sticker.

This is the only Corvette ever sold by this small town, two man dealership.

67since67 05-01-2023 11:22 PM

By coincidence, my Day2 red '67 Chevelle SS (bought from original owner Oct of '67) was sold from this same dealer.

dykstra 05-01-2023 11:57 PM

Super Cool Bill! Will be following this thread for sure.

Lynn 05-02-2023 12:19 AM

If your cousin needs someone else to store it, I would for free. Would also keep the battery charged, handle routine maintenance and make sure it got regular exercise.

I also have access to LL100, so you know the gas would never go stale.

I can be there with a trailer on Saturday.

What a great car to tool around in.

TimG 05-02-2023 12:22 AM

I hope to see more of this car, Bill. It is a beauty.

PeteLeathersac 05-02-2023 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Wow car Bill also love the plan to get him out for a few more rides!
Looking forward to updates after cleanup too, what’s the odo reading now?

I took a quick look for Old Lahmann Newspaper Ads but saw nothing special and all plain/simple as below.
Note second Ad is for inventory parts/going out of business 01/69.
:beers:
~ Pete

napa68 05-02-2023 12:41 PM

What a car!!!!!!!

Bill Pritchard 05-02-2023 01:23 PM

Wow! Evidently, keeping cars a long time runs in your family. Ordered on New Year's Eve of 1964. Love the four digit phone number on the Corvette's sales invoice.

TimG 05-02-2023 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My good friend in Dallas ordered this 1965 on New Years Eve 1964, also. The cars are optioned nearly identical. Ken sold this car to me back in 2004 and I enjoyed it many years. I'm sure the dealers wanted to get these orders in by year end.

Lynn 05-02-2023 03:58 PM

So, in 1965 the standard transmission was a 3 speed.

What was the last year the 3 speed was standard?

Bill Pritchard 05-02-2023 04:13 PM

My guess is 69, but it's only a guess.

EDIT: Well, now it's more of an educated guess.....I got out my 1969 "Chevrolet Sports Department" brochure and it lists the 3 speed as standard in the 69 Corvette. Colvin's book does not list any Corvette engine application for a 3 speed trans for the 1970 model year or beyond.

napa68 05-02-2023 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1621648)
So, in 1965 the standard transmission was a 3 speed.

What was the last year the 3 speed was standard?

Yes, and it was 67 as I remember it.

Lynn 05-02-2023 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1621649)
My guess is 69, but it's only a guess.

EDIT: Well, now it's more of an educated guess.....I got out my 1969 "Chevrolet Sports Department" brochure and it lists the 3 speed as standard in the 69 Corvette. Colvin's book does not list any Corvette engine application for a 3 speed trans for the 1970 model year or beyond.

Bill,

I think the engine assembly code would be identical for 3 speed and 4 speed.

Big Block Bill 05-02-2023 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napa68 (Post 1621650)
Yes, and it was 67 as I remember it.

I believe 1969 was the last year you could get a 3 speed in a Corvette. A friend of mine, Bob Olson (he was the head Block machinist @ Pro Motor Engineering in Mooresville NC, formerly Motorsport Research) had a 1969 Riverside Gold 300 HP 3 speed, no options (other than an AM/FM radio) Coupe as a daily driver back in the late 1970's. I always gave him Sh** being a professional Racing Engine builder driving a 3 speed Corvette. He got it from his Uncle who purchased it new, He showed me the original paperwork (sales contract and if I remember correctly the window sticker to prove it). But that was a long time ago, and we all know how our memories ar. Bill

67since67 05-02-2023 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1621602)
If your cousin needs someone else to store it, I would for free.

A line has formed Lynn, and you are not at the front. Sorry!

Thanks for the generous offer though!!

67since67 05-02-2023 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimG (Post 1621603)
I hope to see more of this car, Bill. It is a beauty.

We may make an effort to have it at the Cedar Rapids regional in '24 Tim.

MosportGreen66 05-03-2023 12:58 AM

You're a real mensch Bill! Can't wait to see more of this project too... especially having enjoyed the work you did on the '67.

67since67 05-03-2023 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1621644)
Wow! Evidently, keeping cars a long time runs in your family. Ordered on New Year's Eve of 1964. Love the four digit phone number on the Corvette's sales invoice.

Oh..You have no idea Bill... Cousin Paul still has his first car, a '55 150 2 door, purchased in 1958 and done early '60s mild custom. Off the road since 1978, it's in rough shape today. 1946 Willys Jeep my Uncle bought new.

His brother has a '63 Riviera, owned since I believe '64, also a 58 BelAir owned since about 1960, plus original owner of a '77 Vette, and a C6.

And tractors...Between them they have 200 Minneapolis Moline tractors, many have been in the family from new, as far back as 1936. And more, all this stuff is stored indoors. - Bill W

60sStuff 05-03-2023 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,

I love that Maroon Trim!

Looks like the headlights were open (no dust) when last parked.

I have subscribed to this thread.

Thanks, Chris.

67since67 05-03-2023 07:22 PM

Cousin Paul drove this regularly until about 1980, although being a farmer that was not daily. Somewhere in the 80's the line to the rear brakes rusted and he capped off the rear, driving it sparingly with front brakes only, and then rarely.

In 2007 I connected Paul with friend Brian, and Brian lifted the body off to do a driver restoration of the chassis. There was a predictable amount of frame rust at the rear which Brian repaired before powder coating the frame. Engine, trans, diff, trailing arms were rebuilt and brake calipers were sleeved. The body was cleaned and seat covers and carpet replaced. This was completed in 2008. I had limited input on this as I was working 60-80 hours a week at that point in time.

Paul and his wife enjoyed the car for several years, often seen at local cruise nights until health issues got in the way. - Bill W

67since67 05-03-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sStuff (Post 1621686)
Bill,

I love that Maroon Trim!

Looks like the headlights were open (no dust) when last parked.

I have subscribed to this thread.

Thanks, Chris.

Sharp eye Chris, yes the headlights were up. Since the motors were rebuilt in '08 they flip properly, and the rebuilt power antenna buzzes up and down also.

The repop seat covers don't do the interior justice, but the maroon is quite striking! We speculated how it would pop in a silver or white car.

67since67 05-03-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimG (Post 1621647)
My good friend in Dallas ordered this 1965 on New Years Eve 1964, also. The cars are optioned nearly identical. Ken sold this car to me back in 2004 and I enjoyed it many years. I'm sure the dealers wanted to get these orders in by year end.

Interesting Tim, is that both cars were ordered on the same day, your friend's VIN is nearly 3,000 cars earlier.

I do remember that Paul's car was delayed because of availability of the Eaton posi unit, which he eventually allowed to be built without. Note that on the order form there was a $43.05 charge for 3.08 axle although not specifically saying posi, and on the invoice and w/s only charged $2.20 for 3.08 axle ratio.

BUT...your friend's did come through with posi!! Maybe one of the last built with posi before the supply ran out?

TimG 05-03-2023 11:53 PM

So many good stories about these cars and how they were ordered. I remember Ken's '65 arrived in March, two months early, but he was graduating from UM Rolla with an engineering degree, and he couldn't start making payments until May, so he asked the dealership to store it until he graduated. The bank told him to take the car and start making payments when he graduated. You're correct, Bill.

67since67 05-04-2023 08:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On Saturday after we unloaded the Corvette Brian wasted no time, giving it a wash and moving cars around to get it in his shop. He is taking point on this job, I will assist.
Monday he brought me the speedo and tach panel, the clock, and the AM/FM radio with speaker to send out.
Brian is a C3 guy with two LT-1's but he has a real soft spot for this C2 coupe!

On Tuesday I made contacts with vendors and packaged and shipped out the dash components.

The radio only had AM, It is off to Howard Foulds in NJ.
The speaker had holes, it is off to JV Restoration in CA.

Shout out to Tim S. for recommending Rick's Restoration in MD!

The speedo, tach and clock are going to Rick.
The speedo and tach had been done in '08, but was registering 10% slow and the odo and trip were in-op.
All three vendors promised about 2 week turn-around.

napa68 05-04-2023 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1621825)
On Saturday after we unloaded the Corvette Brian wasted no time, giving it a wash and moving cars around to get it in his shop. He is taking point on this job, I will assist.
Monday he brought me the speedo and tach panel, the clock, and the AM/FM radio with speaker to send out.
Brian is a C3 guy with two LT-1's but he has a real soft spot for this C2 coupe!

On Tuesday I made contacts with vendors and packaged and shipped out the dash components.

The radio only had AM, It is off to Howard Foulds in NJ.
The speaker had holes, it is off to JV Restoration in CA.

Shout out to Tim S. for recommending Rick's Restoration in MD!

The speedo, tach and clock are going to Rick.
The speedo and tach had been done in '08, but was registering 10% slow and the odo and trip were in-op.
All three vendors promised about 2 week turn-around.

Glad to hear Rick could help you out. He's been a real asset to me:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:

67since67 05-05-2023 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimG (Post 1621743)
So many good stories about these cars and how they were ordered. I remember Ken's '65 arrived in March, two months early, but he was graduating from UM Rolla with an engineering degree, and he couldn't start making payments until May, so he asked the dealership to store it until he graduated. The bank told him to take the car and start making payments when he graduated. You're correct, Bill.

Puzzling to me Tim, how two similar Corvettes, both ordered December 31st, built on the same assembly line, both delivered in March, could be 2,871 VIN's apart from each other? :confused2:

Possibly, the VIN was not assigned until the posi availability issue was resolved?? :dunno:

But then, both delivered in March?? Would be interesting to determine the build dates.

TimG 05-05-2023 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The body build date was G10 or 2-10-65. Production date was probably a few days later. Here is the trim tag and POP info. It was picked up on March 11, 1965.

Copo_Cartel 05-06-2023 12:07 PM

Bill. You are the ultimate family member and car custodian. The hobby needs more gentlemen like you.

olredalert 05-06-2023 02:16 PM

----Bill,,,Post a picture of the carpet under the seats. If the cuts are correct, good. If not I can either e-mail you a pic of an original or I could send the carpet to you. I saved an original 65-6 front and have used it dozens of times in the past! The original cut is important for the seat frame to sit correctly!.....Bill S

60sStuff 05-06-2023 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1621939)
----Bill,,,Post a picture of the carpet under the seats. If the cuts are correct, good. If not I can either e-mail you a pic of an original or I could send the carpet to you. I saved an original 65-6 front and have used it dozens of times in the past! The original cut is important for the seat frame to sit correctly!.....Bill S

Details, Details.

This is what I like when it comes to OEM on 60’s automobiles.

Thanks!

67since67 05-06-2023 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copo_Cartel (Post 1621936)
Bill. You are the ultimate family member and car custodian. The hobby needs more gentlemen like you.

Awe shucks...you guys are too kind! :blush:
I'm just an Iowa farm kid with a hard obsession for cars since age 2. And, in the words of Bill S, "Wasting What Little Time I Have Left". - Bill W

67since67 05-06-2023 11:18 PM

Quote:

Bill, the original carpet was used for pattern, sending a pm.

turbo69bird 05-11-2023 05:25 AM

I saw you mentioned 100LL better get what you want quick for those cars first airport already switched to unleaded . Rest won’t be far behind. Just figured I’d give a heads up !

67since67 05-14-2023 10:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not much happening until I get parts back. Sudden service from Rick's Restoration on the speedo, tach, and clock!! In his shop three business days!! :shocked: Should be here tomorrow.

Brian got it up on stands and did some cleaning underneath and an assessment of needs, not much. He cleaned and kitted the AFB, the vacuum piston that pulls the choke open was stuck in the open position, same as 15 years ago. Anyone have a fix for that?? (Electric choke is not an option!!) The reverse lock-out has been repaired also.

I have picked up a fresh battery, VR-1 10-30, antifreeze, air filter and some fresh premium non ethanol gas. The 327 was running pretty good but the gas is smelling a little rank so we will give 'er a flush.

Attaching pix of the TT and dash prior to removal. The steering wheel and dash are in awesome condition!! - Bill W

TimG 05-14-2023 11:18 PM

Bill, what a nice trim tag. I like this car.

60sStuff 05-15-2023 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice photos Bill, especially that 1967 Safety Checked decal …. love it.

Yes, this Original paint is Checked …. love that also.

67since67 05-22-2023 12:09 AM

12 Attachment(s)
Brian and I spent a couple hours assessing overall condition. The fiberglass on this car is almost breathtaking, not a single crack or stress mark anywhere. The wheel lips and underside white glass are perfect! Bonding strips, beautiful!

Original weatherstrips are in great condition. NCRS judges always scrutinize gas doors so I included that.

The original water pump, fuel pump, and one horn were replaced in 2008 but are still with the car. The radiator and expansion tank were replaced at some point, but all other dated parts are verified to still be present. Foil carb tag, Muncie tag, glass including mirrors, all present.

Waiting for dash parts to come back, then we will move forward. - Bill W

67since67 05-22-2023 12:16 AM

Quote:

Bill, I did compare your pix with what Brian did in 2008, virtual match!!
But he, along with most guys in my close circle, is a stickler for detail.

67since67 05-22-2023 12:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Interesting ink stamps from the speedo/tach housing.