The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Yenko Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   How many unknown Yenko Camaros are out there? VINs (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146237)

TWB 12-27-2017 11:38 PM

How many unknown Yenko Camaros are out there? VINs

New to the forum. Does anyone have a guess as to how many more 69 Yenko Camaros actually exist. That is those that may not be listed in this registry?

Thank you!

bergy 12-28-2017 10:28 AM

about 50% of the original 69 Yenko Camaros are indicated in the registry as "known" cars. Other then that statistic - we don't know what we don't know :-)

We're always looking for more supercars to register. We just received info on another one that we didn't have listed as "known" a couple of weeks ago.

TWB 12-28-2017 01:15 PM

In other words, these unknown vins would be in addition to the 198 that are listed in another thread on this site? How certain can it be that there are 198,or 201 that were built?

bergy 12-28-2017 02:14 PM

About 50% of the 198 (+/-) 1969 Yenko Camaro vin cars are known to currently exist. The vins are known from Yenko inventory records that were retrieved (thankfully) after the dealership was closed down. There are a few discrepancies in vins due to interpretation of the hand written sheets - so the total number of individual vins varies from transcription to transcription. In point of fact, at least one of the "interpreted" vin cars on the list was located and determined not to be a copo (it is not, therefore, on our list). The number (198 +/-) does not include the copo cars that got Yenko treatment under license agreement at Jack Douglass Chevrolet.

Others who were more intimately involved in generation the original lists of Yenko vins may want to chime in. I was not involved in that effort, so I'm relating my understanding of what took place.

TWB 12-29-2017 12:14 AM

Thank you. If another real car, that is NOT on your list becomes known, does that mean it is one of the cars that may have the vin listed incorrectly from the records? Or the records may not be complete? And, are you aware if this has happened before?

Thank you.

bergy 12-29-2017 07:20 AM

IMO - it's possible, but not probable. Adding a Yenko vin would require a lot of documentation - including factory paperwork, ownership history (with contacts), and certified inspection. It's my understanding that a very limited number of vins have been added (and subtracted), but most due to mis-reading the inventory numbers.

Also IMO - it's time to let the community know where we are headed with this thread!

TWB 12-29-2017 10:47 PM

Thank you for your time. I appreciate speaking with you. As discussed, I owned one, many years ago that had not been modified. Not a smidgen of doubt it was a real car. I know the vin, know where it was sold, etc, the vin is right between two that are very close on the list. And, it is not on the published list. I will make attempts to track it down again. Gave a half hearted effort in the nineties.

Charley Lillard 12-29-2017 11:23 PM

Interesting and wise of you not to post the vin. Have you sent the vin to NCRS to see what comes back ?

61 vert 12-29-2017 11:56 PM

Could it have been a Jack Douglas car? NCRS would help determine that. Have you cked to see if it is in the COPO registry? Someone may have restored it as a COPO since it was not on the Yenko list.

Mr70 12-30-2017 01:26 AM

TWB
Are you/were you by chance from Indiana?

TWB 12-30-2017 01:59 AM

I sold it as a body. No engine or trans. I made a drag car out of it but did not alter the body in any way. I suspect it remained that way.
I am not from Indiana. I do know where it was sold through and have no doubt it was a Yenko. Lakewood bars, tach. I removed it because I couldn’t get it to stop pivoting down! I am hesitant to release the vin of course. I never checked the COPO registry but I suppose I should.
Thank you to all! Sure would like to have it back all of these years later. It did have chambered exhaust when I got it and it had all proper hangers. I remember buying another set because it had rusted quite a bit by 1972. As I recall and may still have the receipt it was 86.00 or so.

marxjunk 12-30-2017 03:55 AM

dont give the VIN out....period..there are people with less than honorable intentions in the world...

find the car, then when its in your garage share all you want

bergy 12-30-2017 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good discussion with the previous owner - a real "car guy" from his teens! Not violating any confidence by posting this picture of his old car. Picture is from '72

mr 707 12-30-2017 10:54 AM

get a ncrs document

Tracker1 12-30-2017 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Adjusted.

69LM1 01-01-2018 03:16 PM

That's Cool. Best of luck in the new year for the OP in finding this car.

Rich

NovaMob03 01-01-2018 04:47 PM

I had 2 sYc Camaros that are not on the (original) list...
N615076 RG X11 4spd sold from Yenko without striping & 6 pages of Yenko docs
N616128 FG X11 was told it was a dealer transfer to Jack Douglas and window sticker exists, but I haven't seen it. Others have and I was told it's a 4spd
Both 2nd order 11/11/68 and 7 body #'s apart

Stefano 10-03-2019 07:29 PM

What ever happend to this non listed Yenko?

TWB 10-04-2019 05:07 AM

I have not received any leads. I have spoken with some informative people, but nothing. I was able to obtain redacted state registration records. There were no updates to the previous title search I received in the 90s before the privacy laws were in force. Many extremely vivid memories of the car remain, and a few parts I still have. When I saw this thread appear I was hoping something interesting popped up. Let’s face it, these cars are really getting old, along with the owners from back in the day!

Mike 10-04-2019 02:52 PM

Did you happen to find and talk to the person that was on the old title records?

Stefano 10-04-2019 03:49 PM

It would be Kool to find it, that is for certain. But also there have been other Yenko Camaros which seem to not have been included on the "inventory sheets" and it would be good to get some confirmation or data on this one.........?

Nova Pete 10-04-2019 06:37 PM

A guy I have chatted with claims to have a 9561. He told me he has had it for 40 years and I know it hasn't been moved in at least 30. Sits in his garage buried. Keeps telling me ill get a chance to see it soon.

If I get in there first thing I will do is take a pic of the trim tag and of course look for some of the more obvious stuff. Then I will post here.

Ive seen a pic. Its blue with red interior. Does have rally rims. Maybe a 9737 double copo? Who knows.

x33rs 10-04-2019 06:58 PM

I know of 2 COPO's and 1 Yenko that aren't listed.

Well, I know the 2 COPO's aren't and I highly doubt the Yenko is.

Both 69 Camaro COPO's are friends of mine and have owned them for decades. One is an RS. They aren't computer people and don't think they have much interest in registries. They do get the cars out and about and frequent local cruises and shows.

The Yenko is a fellow I lived near, owned a local junk yard, and has an unrestored yellow 69 Camaro Yenko. When I saw the car in his garage the hood was hanging on the wall and it had a tunnel ram on the engine. Was his race car in the 70's and has been parked since. Wasn't cut up and looked to still be in decent shape from what I could see. I was told he was the original owner. After I moved away not sure what happened to it but I'd assume it's still sitting there with stuff piled around it.

Tracker1 10-04-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova pete (Post 1465606)

its blue with red interior. Does have rally rims.

wow!

TWB 10-05-2019 02:16 AM

I spoke with the last registered owner after I received the information in the 90s. He sold it and did not know anything on the buyer. That is the end of the trail. Interesting footnote, and I did not pay any attention to it then. They gave me the selling dealer info. After I became curious in these last few years I saw that the selling dealer was in the Yenko dealer network. I never doubted its authenticity. Nobody in my area had even heard of them, including myself when I purchased it in April 1972. It had original paint and there were no “clones” at the time. Trim tag info? Of course not, who looked at a trim tag then? I was 16 and all I wanted to do is go fast and drag race.
I do have copies of the titles and even a registration or two. Nonetheless, I have had the vin memorized for decades, just in case I found it. I remember every hole I drilled in the car. Every modification. Had a burglar alarm (no garage for me) etc. and I mounted 2 batteries in the trunk. If I come across it, it would be like a dream.

lowmile 10-05-2019 02:38 PM

I hope you have taken the advice of others and ordered the NCRS documents. That should answer a lot of questions, of course it could create more questions than it answers.... m

TWB 10-06-2019 01:35 AM

I did a title search in 90s and know where it sold from. Also heard all vins are not available with the NCRS database. The ones that know these things say there are unknown vins out there.

lowmile 10-06-2019 06:37 PM

Yes you may know where it was sold but where it came off the truck from GM may have been somewhere else, but then again I'm a no stone left un turned kinda guy. I realize not everyone is wired up like me. My wife reminds me of that often. m

Stefano 10-07-2019 06:10 PM

Based on the way it is describled/pictures and configured it would have to be, Yenko Chevrolet, Canonsburg, PA.

TWB 10-07-2019 06:20 PM

Not a doubt in my mind.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 10-09-2019 12:57 AM

Each state implemented the Federal Privacy Act of '96 in their own way, and thus each state has different rules / forms / results - some states have online VIN searches! So, since you have the VIN, I'd suggest requesting the title search info again unless its; NY, NJ, MI VA or CA - those states are near impossible! If its PA, MD, OH or NC then you are in luck (especially MD). If its GA or AL that's tough since they didn't even have titles till '86....