The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   1966 Yenko Stinger for sale (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71352)

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 10-07-2002 08:30 PM

Re: 1966 Yenko Stinger for sale

Stefano;
We were all 'in the dark' about the Douglas situation at one time or another, so I wouldn't discredit Vince due his opinion 'back in the day' that the cars might be Berger's. Vince verifys Yenko cars only, not COPO cars, which is why he would give a negative answer on a Douglas car. Vince is going by the paperwork, which does not support the Douglas COPO cars being Yenko cars.

I only bring Vince into this discussion because you brought Ed into it, both are noted authorities, and they disagree just like we do.

Stefano 10-07-2002 08:41 PM

Marlin,
Ed not only knew and documented the story as well as verified and data based the Known Douglass Yenkos. He went out of his way to meet with Jack and discuss the situation in complete detail.

I have never seen a Document or letter from Vince stating that any of the Douglass Yenkos were not sold to the public as such. I would certainly like to see that.

He could verify that they are not on the Yenko inventory sheets, but we're already in agreement on this.

I wasn't trying to discredit Vince at all only point out that he couldn't be expected to verify something he wasn't aware of.

copolocater 10-07-2002 08:52 PM

Marlin I'm asking you because of the reputation you have ,if you owned a Jack Douglass copo that was sold with Yenko stripes/badging and were going to restore the car and had original photos to document it along with a bill of sale how would you restore the car and when you sold it how would you promote the car?Trick question [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I know you'll answer honestly. Brian you can answer too.

bkhpah 10-07-2002 09:07 PM

According to Shor, he does not want any Yenko items on his Douglass COPO. He likes the X11 with fender pinstriping. I would aggree. The Douglass car is a nice piece on its own. Why cloud the situation with some stripes. It would seem to me that unaware buyers of the 1969 Yenko striped Douglass cars were taken advantage of. It has just taken 30+ years to find out. Did Jack Douglass explain to the buyers of the Yenko striped Douglass order that the cars were not part of Yenko Sports Cars Inc? Doubt it...BKH

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 10-07-2002 09:34 PM

Tim;
Honest question, here's my honest answer. I would not put any Yenko identification on that car if it was mine. If paperwork was located that proved that there was an agreement, I would still be hesitant to do so because the car is not on the Inventory Sheets.

copolocater 10-07-2002 09:39 PM

Honest answer, I quit, missed some good stuff on ebay today. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

hvychev 10-07-2002 09:42 PM

Brian, Do you think people actually cared back then??!!! I'll bet that half if not more of the original buyers that bought Douglas Yenko's new in 69 had no idea who the hell Yenko even was let alone cared where the cars originated from or who striped them!!! I have talked to a person who bought a Cannonsberg Yenko/Douglas car used in 1970 and also who knows how many other people that were also around and in the muscle car/race scene of Chicago in the mid 60's to mid 70's and THEY never heard of Yenko. To the people that had bought the cars new most probably thought they were buying a factory 427 Camaro that had a cool set of stripes on it. These were just cool fast cars back then and this crap didn't matter till they escalated in value. Nobody really wants to admit that this whole disagreement stems about the value from a "real Cannonsberg" Yenko to a "Hinsdale Yenko". I know there has to be a way to seperate the two because like some posts have read if you counted all the cars that got stripe kits over the counter what would that do to the value of everyone elses "REAL" Yenko's? I know that I may be out of pocket here but this is the way im reading this.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 10-07-2002 10:03 PM

Frank;
I think the YENKO name must have had some impact on the public, otherwise Jack would have left the cars as COPO's. Would he have paid this $400+/- (where does this $# come from anyway?) for the stripes and emblems if they didn't carry some recognition on the buying public?

I would agree with you that the general public didn't know what a Yenko was, but somebody who was willing to pay that much for a car should have had some knowledge - especially since the Hedrick car was cleaning up on the strips, and there was an aggressive ad campaign going on.

One of my buddies bought his '69 Yenko Camaro in Dec of '69 off a used car lot. The only thing that made him stop and look at the car were the stripes - except that he thought it was a Z28. Once he saw the 427 on the hood, he asked to test drive it. So, not everyone knew what was going on, it would have been especialy hard for him - he was just back from Vietnam.

moparts 10-07-2002 10:18 PM

So the value of a Douglas _____________ (fill in the blank) will not be raised if it is certified a real Yenko?????????? And since when is the value of a car not relevent to a dealer?????????? And IMO its all about the money. Thats why origional 100 Stingers are bringing 15,000 to 20,000 and I sold 2 kit cars for 8,000. and that wasn't each!!!

shor 10-07-2002 11:03 PM

As a follow up, I am not striping my Douglass Yenko, not because I am questioning it's being a Yenko. I just don't like stripes. It will still retain it's yenko badges and headrests.
This way everyone will be able to spot it at next year's reunion [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]