The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Ryan Weaver’s 1973 VW Super Beetle (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168478)

Lynn 09-06-2021 02:28 PM

Now see, that shows how little I know about Bugs after 1968 model year.

My 67-68 (long story) had no gas fired heater. It just used a series of shrouds around the engine designed to draw air into the cabin.

Ryan1969Chevelle 09-06-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1562139)
Now see, that shows how little I know about Bugs after 1968 model year.

My 67-68 (long story) had no gas fired heater. It just used a series of shrouds around the engine designed to draw air into the cabin.

I am totally new to VW. This car has the heat ducts from the engine but it also has the heater box under the “frunk” so it may or may not have a gas burner…… ?

If it does I will disconnect it. (Sold new in Ontario Canada and built in Germany)

Ryan W31

Ryan1969Chevelle 09-06-2021 03:21 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I spent the day disassembling and inspecting the brakes.

I plan to do a full brake job while I have it apart.

Flex lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware kits, and turn the drums (as long as they have material left… they look very good)

What a fun day going all over the Beetle, I still can’t find any serious corrosion!!

Ryan W31

Ryan1969Chevelle 09-06-2021 03:22 PM

PS: Wheel spacers and coil overs are on the chopping block

Ryan W-31

Ryan1969Chevelle 09-19-2021 01:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It took me a while but I finally found what In-line Tube/Fusick are to Oldsmobile for VW.

California Import Parts 1 CIP1 free shipping over $100.00 and they have a business in British Columbia so in Canadian Dollars!!!!

My final parts have now arrived.

I ordered new backing plates as the original rears were a little beyond sandblast and paint. (The area on one around the wheel cylinder was slightly soft)

Now I can assemble the brakes, and replace any brake lines needed.

I need to step on it to get the car on the road before snow!!!

Ryan W31

PS: The milk truck is calling my name!!!

wheelhop 09-20-2021 04:24 PM

My dad drove a beetle when we were kids. We used to meet him at the entrance to our neighborhood and he'd give us a ride home standing on the side "steps / rockers" (not sure what they are called?) Nowadays they would probably take us into custody if you did something like that!

Lynn 09-20-2021 07:48 PM

Running Boards.

mssl72 09-20-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelhop (Post 1564061)
My dad drove a beetle when we were kids. We used to meet him at the entrance to our neighborhood and he'd give us a ride home standing on the side "steps / rockers" (not sure what they are called?) Nowadays they would probably take us into custody if you did something like that!

Kids yes, adults no. The running boards weren't that strong, especially if you lived in the rust belt.

Ryan1969Chevelle 09-25-2021 09:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a bit of time working on the Beetle today.

Replaced park brake cables and assembled the rear brakes on one side.

Getting closer and closer.

I hope to have it ready for a drive or two before winter so it’s ready to go in the spring.

Ryan W31

Ryan1969Chevelle 12-27-2021 05:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Amy gave me a stainless steel roof rack for my Super Beetle :-)

Can’t wait to install this contraption!!!

My Mom works/volunteers at a local “new to you” store,
She will keep an eye out for vintage leather suit cases or a Coke cooler or similar items to lash to my new rack :-)

Ryan W31