The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   In Memoriam (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Larry Clain B/Motion collector dies/cars STOLEN (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87307)

shor 06-21-2006 02:46 AM

Re: Ok guys.. I have some super bad news.. Please help

what a nice guy
he will be missed https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/frown.gif

69motion 06-21-2006 02:53 AM

iv talked to larry just a while ago that sux rip my friend i hope they catch the scumbag jeff

70-SS/RS-L78 06-21-2006 04:58 AM

Re: Ok guys.. I have some super bad news.. Please

God Speed and Rest In Peace Larry.......
The scumbags will be found..

hvychev 06-21-2006 05:37 AM

The more I read this thread the more I get sick about what happened. There is definitely something not right about this.

Ed, I am curious why didn't you come on this site 2 weeks ago and tell everybody that Larry died? I don't mean to be out of order but seeing that you met him through this site and with everything you guys did together relating to this site it seems strange to me.

Could anybody access an obituary for Larry via the web or a news paper?

Charley Lillard 06-21-2006 05:44 AM

Frank....Per Ed.. "As for the reason the annoucement of his death hasn't happened till now.. Larry died without a will.. His estate is in probate. And it was at the wishes of those involved to keep things private for the time being.. "

hvychev 06-21-2006 05:52 AM

I apologize as I did not notice that statement. I am just mad that something like this could happen. I am shocked that the family involved would not want people that cared about him to know he died. As a matter of fact I would bet if we would have known about this the cars would NOT have been stolen in the first place.

When Dennis Hartweg died many friends rushed to Annies side to make sure she was not taken advantage of. It seemed to help her out a lot and she also got a lot of support in such a difficult time. Why did this not happen for Larry? He was a good guy that almost everybody liked. I bet there would have been a line of people that would have helped out his friends and family if we would had known. That is one of the great things about this club. If there was ever a member in trouble and in need of help they WOULD find it here!

Tim Penton 06-21-2006 06:36 AM

Ed (55chevy), I've investigated numerous auto thefts and alot of things are not adding up. Give me a call tomorrow around noon at 985-507-1373. I may be able to help give you some ideas that could help you assist the police and Larry's wife. I hate to hear when anything like this happens. I'm sure Larry is in a good place right now. God Bless him.

Chevy454 06-21-2006 07:22 AM

Man, this is still hard to believe...like others, I had to stay on Larry to bring his BM 'Vette with it's original "patina"...and needless to say, people dug that car...but I can't bear thinking of that car *without* thinking of Larry, and how when I saw him in person or talked on the phone he always seemed to be in a good mood, no matter what was happening around him. That old coot will be missed... https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/frown.gif

mmcporter 06-21-2006 08:23 AM

That's very sad that he has died. He was a nice guy who was knew his stuff. He will be missed on this board. Too bad about the cars as well--what a cowardly crime to say the least.

ss427copo 06-21-2006 09:01 AM

Well folks......in the final analysis, it is not what you have but who you are.....and by reading ALL these posts, this gentleman was just that...a gentle man. Our hobby is just the conduit to forged friendships.

Like with my 5/13 heart attack.....and your responses, many of you showed me what class and character you possess. For that, I again Thank You.

For Larry and his family....God bless you.

Jeff

mssl72 06-21-2006 10:41 AM

Wow. This is sad. My condolences to his family and friends. I can see by the comments in this post that a ton of his friends are here on this site. I'm truly sorry for everybody.

The theft of his cars made the hair stand up on the back of my neck and my stomach tense up. I was robbed just over a year ago. They broke into the house and went through everything and stole a bunch of stuff. Hearing what happened to Larry cars brought all those emotions back. That's just sickening. I would love to choke the life out of the thieves with my bare hands. If there's anything I can do to help beside keeping my eyes and ears open, please let me know.

sixbrl440 06-21-2006 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well folks......in the final analysis, it is not what you have but who you are.....and by reading ALL these posts, this gentleman was just that...a gentle man. Our hobby is just the conduit to forged friendships.

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings another twist to the thread. As Ed mentioned, Larry died intestate. I'll not get into details, but the surviving, albeit distant, family members are being less than cooperative, regardless of no contact with them in the time I've known Larry. Aunt and her family is it.

At any rate, folks, make sure you don't die intestate. Get the wills written. Hand written, by you, is ok. If drafted, get it witnessed by two and notarized. Don't leave your friends in the awkward position of deciding your estate. We never know when our time is up.

As for the rest of the issues we on the Forum can attend to, it will be to simply think of all publications the theft can be listed in; to do so and keep out eyes open.

There are some bad people out there in the world. 'nuff for now.

Thanks again, on Larry's behalf, for all the kind words.

Perry

Chevy454 06-21-2006 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only were his cars stolen.. but his house broken into and the titles to them taken as well..

[/ QUOTE ]
Just re-read part of this thread...that line right there tells me it was an inside job, as someone had to know where the titles were...do Oklahoma titles require notarization? Might be worth someone's time to pass along the VIN #s to Joel Rosen as well...

MosportGreen66 06-21-2006 06:55 PM

I sent a PM to Ed with that exact statement Rob... This had to be an inside job. https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...emlins/mad.gif

Supergas990 06-21-2006 06:55 PM

First, I'd like to say that I'm going to miss his posts and input here. He seemed like wealth of knowledge. Condolences to the family.

Now, I hate to sound like the conspiracy theory guy, but has anyone considered the idea that maybe this happened because someone in the family was told/knew he didn't have a will? I've heard of close family members agree to cleaning out all items of value prior to the governement getting wind of someone's passing. In these cases they're just trying to keep the gov't from taking the stuff via death tax or just having it locked up by the courts for years.

I hate thievery, so if it's that I hope they get their due. If it's a move to screw the gov't, so be it.

Just something to consider.

Blair

396L35 06-21-2006 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I'd like to say that I'm going to miss his posts and input here. He seemed like wealth of knowledge. Condolences to the family.

Now, I hate to sound like the conspiracy theory guy, but has anyone considered the idea that maybe this happened because someone in the family was told/knew he didn't have a will? I've heard of close family members agree to cleaning out all items of value prior to the governement getting wind of someone's passing. In these cases they're just trying to keep the gov't from taking the stuff via death tax or just having it locked up by the courts for years.

I hate thievery, so if it's that I hope they get their due. If it's a move to screw the gov't, so be it.

Just something to consider.

Blair

[/ QUOTE ]
Blair lets hope that is the case...

markjohnson 06-21-2006 08:27 PM

That is the smartest thing that anyone has said yet in this post. I visited Larry back in March at this building during a business transaction and he showed me all his cars in this building. This building is located on a very busy street next to a car wash in downtown Tulsa. It would have taken several people, many hours and countless trips to take all these cars as they were buried behind much clutter. Thousands of people had to see this occuring. When one's time is up on this planet, material items lose importance. You can't take them with you. When Larry passed on without a will these cars no longer belonged to him. Sounds heartless but that's the way it is. Everyone should walk away learning something from this thread. That will be Larry's legacy. Those cars would have been tied up in probate court for years to pay for outstanding debt and taxes. We should all hope that the cars were whisked away by family members to safety. Let's face it, these were valuble cars that the government/courts would have loved to get a part of. I've got a feeling these cars will re-surface soon enough.

sYc 06-21-2006 08:56 PM

Even if it were family members, and/or friends, really does not matter in the eyes of the law/courts, to them it is still stealing. I am guessing there was a police report filed, so too late to do things under cover. Regardless, NOTHING was to be moved/taken without a court order.

If there was a will, everything is tied up until the probate courts says who gets what.

In Larry's case, with no will, must go through probate court, if not, who ever took the items could be in serious trouble. To get a clear deed, or to assign a title, will require a court order. Or someone will need to forge Larry's signature, and in many states, must be notorized, which complicates things even more.

If who ever took the cars forge's Larry signature to move the cars, they could be in very big trouble. Also, the buyer(s), who are guilty of receiving stolen goods. Worst case for the buyer is jail time, best case is lose the cars and their $$$.

I see this all of the time, where folks think they can go around the system, but rarly get away with it. Seems someone always feels they got short changed, hire a lawyer, and away you go. Or some innocent party goes to file a deed, or apply for a title and finds out that there is a probelm.

Take my advice, get with your CPA/attorney and get things set up NOW.

55chevy 06-21-2006 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if it were family members, and/or friends, really does not matter in the eyes of the law/courts, to them it is still stealing. I am guessing there was a police report filed, so too late to do things under cover. Regardless, NOTHING was to be moved/taken without a court order.

If there was a will, everything is tied up until the probate courts says who gets what.

In Larry's case, with no will, must go through probate court, if not, who ever took the items could be in serious trouble. To get a clear deed, or to assign a title, will require a court order. Or someone will need to forge Larry's signature, and in many states, must be notorized, which complicates things even more.

If who ever took the cars forge's Larry signature to move the cars, they could be in very big trouble. Also, the buyer(s), who are guilty of receiving stolen goods. Worst case for the buyer is jail time, best case is lose the cars and their $$$.

I see this all of the time, where folks think they can go around the system, but rarly get away with it. Seems someone always feels they got short changed, hire a lawyer, and away you go. Or some innocent party goes to file a deed, or apply for a title and finds out that there is a probelm.

Take my advice, get with your CPA/attorney and get things set up NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom hit the nail on the head. I don't know "all" the details as I am not part of the investigation. But here is what I do know right now.. NOTHING should have been touched.. by anyone. Sometime between I believe it was May 25th I was told that the attorneys video taped everything in Larry's shop and then chained and pad locked everything up .. and 2 days ago when this was discovered ..someone got in and took all the cars.. So that gave these thieves almost 4 weeks to do this.. None of us ever thought something like this would happen..or trust me, I'd have stepped up patrols of his properties myself.. As far as it being an inside job?, Myself, Dee (Larry's widow) and Perry all think that as well. And I know that is being looked into by authorities. Like I said I'm not close to the investigation of this, so all my knowlege is second hand. I know Perry is closer to what's going on.. so if anyone can help with advice or any FBI guys listening or anything, contact Perry (sixbrl440). Or contact me and I'll pass it on.
I've givin Perry copies of all the photos I have from inside Larrys shop to give to those investigating this. Aside from that and getting the word out there to the public of what's occured, I feel like my hands are tied and there's not a damn thing I can do about.. I'm just sick over this and the loss of my friend.. It's like a f-ing bad dream!

bkhpah 06-22-2006 05:59 AM

I am very sorry to hear this news, he was a great asset to the site and the hobby. The stealing of the cars on top of it really turns my stomach. It takes a real piece of [censored] to do that. ..BKH https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/frown.gifhttps://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...emlins/mad.gif

KENNY_PASCOE 06-22-2006 05:11 PM

I MET LARRY AT B/J IN 2005 AND AGAIN AT SCR O5. HE WAS A STANDUP GUY AND A ASSET TO THE HOBBY. MY CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS. AS FAR AS THE ISSUE WITH HIS CAR BEING STOLEN, I THINK MOST OF THE POSTS HAVE IT NAILED DOWN.... KP

PeteLeathersac 06-22-2006 08:15 PM

After reading Ed's last post I thought it appropriate I offer an an apology to Larry's widow. . My previous comments of a 'woman's work' was more of a thought on the possible actions of ex-wives and not directed at Dee. .
Reading she is working w/ Ed & Perry trying to track down the crooks made me feel a need to clarify this and offer my apology. . Sorry also to anyone else that may have taken offence. .
My sincere condolences to Larry's family and friends. .

~ Pete

musclecarjohn 06-22-2006 11:42 PM

Wow...somebody wake me up,this must be a bad dream!

Seriously,I enjoyed reading Larry's postings and based on what I've read here,he was a standup guy who was highly thought of by all.People like him are what this hobby is all about.

Godspeed Larry... https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...mlins/flag.gif

COPO PETE 06-23-2006 01:03 AM

Wow, my condolences. I really enjoyed seeing his car at the reunion!
Peter https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/frown.gif

JoeG 06-23-2006 03:08 AM

I just came down from my buddies place upstate and am really saddened by Larry's(Pantera's) passing.---I never met him personally ,but I learned quickly how determined he was about documenting his '70 B/M GT Vette as Joel's first publically released GT Vette as we would go back and forth thru PMs now and again trying to sort thru some facts.----I'm sorry to say we never could nail it down as 100%,but It was always great to talk to Larry who was an old BM fan like myself. I know he's in a better place and proably now knows the answer to his B/M GT Vette.-True Car Guy in every sense of the word https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...ns/burnout.gif----My sincere condolences to his family--Joe

Seattle Sam 06-23-2006 04:19 AM

Like many of you I met Larry at SCR7, he was very outgoing and talkative, and humble. And as many have said, a friendly, knowledgeable, car guy!

He will be missed, our prayers ot his family and friends!
-Sam

supercomp 8.90 06-23-2006 06:39 AM

wow https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/frown.gif i never met larry but by his posts i can tell he was a nice guy who loved the hobby, our prayers go out to larry and his family.-dave.

GMC_Typhoon 06-23-2006 11:19 AM

I talked to Larry some via email and PM's,trying to help him in his quest to document his New York Auto Show/magazine cover BM Vette.

Although my leads were futile,Larry was just glad to have a straw to grasp at,and seemed to very much enjoy the thrill of the chase.

IMO he was the ultimate car guy.He bought and held on to a couple of the rarest Vettes ever made,and enjoyed them for what they are. He never tried to capitalize on thier value,never had a bad word to say to anyone,and treated everybody he ever met like he would like to be treated. A rare breed indeed he was.

So I say don't mourn Larry's passing,because he lived a great life,experianced things that others can only imagine ,and brought joy to us regular car guys who could only dream of buying BM Vettes for $3200 dollars.He did his best.That's all you can do.

I'm sure the scum that defiled his legacy will be brought to justice.It's a shame it happened,but in this day and age it's not surprising.

12bolt 06-23-2006 06:33 PM

I have not visited the site for some time. Shocked like everyone else I am sure is my first reaction at his Passing. "Not Shocked" by the Grave Robbers. I certainly do not condone their actions, and I hope all is well in the end of the story. That said, Most Importantly I must comment on the Loss of Larry. He and I talked Real estate and cars a few times and how he had set himself up for Retirement. He was a Hard working Man. the kind it seems there is not a whole lot of anymore. He cared for his family and their futures as well. He was a good contributor to this site as I saw him post helpful comments many times. the Forum has undoubtedly lost something special that is simply irreplaceable. To his Close friends here on the Board, I understand this is a sad time and wish you all a brief mourning period. Enjoy this Day and the rest that Follow as none of us know when our last breath will be drawn. https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...mlins/flag.gif

71-LS6 06-24-2006 05:50 AM

I just came back online after a couple of weeks off, what a shock. Larry was a cool guy, I met him at the SCR last year, or the year before, talking corvettes with him was a blast. My prayers and condolences go out to his loved ones. As to his collection, I will tell everyone that I know. Rest in peace, Larry.

sixbrl440 06-25-2006 10:08 AM

Ok, folks...first of all, thanks for all the kind remembrances. I am sure Larry would have been humbled by them.

On to a bit of business...with caution.

Yesterday, I met with the detective assigned to the theft of Larry's property. There was more stolen than just the cars and trailer, but I am going to try to limit my post here to the vehicles.

The detective's name is Rick Eberle and is assigned to the Auto Theft Division of the Tulsa Police Department. I told him of Ed's and my posting of the theft to the internet, both here and the Mopar site I frequent. He said it was a good idea, as the general agreement here and in the detective's mind - according to him - is the theft was accomplished by someone close to Larry.

Rick's phone number is: 918-669-6560/FAX:918-669-6521.

I gave Rick a disc I burned with photos of the cars stolen and a list of the cars Larry owned and where I believe them to be located.

The unusual thing of this is Larry only had one set of keys to his building{s}. PERIOD! Noone has ever, in the 33 years Larry and I were buddies, been allowed onto his property[ies] or into his building[s] without his accompanying the person. PERIOD!

For a period of almost a week, following Larry's death, all his keys were, for the first time ever, in another's hands - NOT a relative! I'll go into no further details with who, just suffice it to say, it was a first. At any rate, the keys were finally anted up to the attorney retained by Dee - Larry's mate - after 6 days of the other party's possesion of them.

Larry had a Dodge Caravan - just a work truck - which contained tools of his trade and many other items. That van has not been seen since the night Larry died. It was whisked away "for safekeeping" by the same party who snagged Larry's wallet from his jeans, removed all the cash Larry had on his person from him, AND muscled the Gold Rolex Submariner off his arm! Same person, again, NOT A RELATIVE!

The next day, the red Dodge dually we used to tow the 1970 B/M car to the reunion disappeared from Larry's driveway to his home. Also, this other party was observed - by Dee ane myself - removing the titles from Larry's file cabinet, rifling the drawers of his office and getting into Larry's computer. The other party said he was removing all of this, and a few more items, for safekeeping. Same person and person's wife, again, NOT RELATIVES!!

Fast forward to either yesterday or Thursday, and a court order to remand custody of all Larry's titles and personal property to the Tulsa Police/Sheriff department.

At my meeting with Rick Aderle - here at home - he showed me the titles recovered. Among the titles were the ones for the 1970 B/M car and the title to the Black 1969 Larry believed to be a B/M. All of the titles were not returned and the other party still, after being served with the order, retains posession of Larry's van and Dodge pickup.

I am so frustrated, I don't know what to do. I personally have seen the vehicles in front of the other party's house [the pickup] on the street - yeah, it's safer - and the van is in his back yard.

I need ideas of what to do, guys. Neither Ed nor I have any real input or say-so about this robbery, except basically, what I have entered here being witnessed by me.

The thief used a key to steal the cars. The back gate to Larrys building was used for egress. It was chained and padlocked at the time of the discovery of the theft.

A key was used to enter Larry's house. I put a big hasp and padlock up after that, but the damage had been done. I am LIVID, but frustrated.

I respond best to e-mails at [email protected] or, call me.

Send me an e-mail, tell me who you are and you get my phone number.

Thanks for responding to this, folks. I am beside myself.

Perry Litchfield
[email protected]

[ QUOTE ]
sure sorry to hear about this....he was a neat guy
will it be possiable to get a vin # list of the cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for now, until all the titles have been accounted for and a few more loose ends are tied up, the VIN list will be better not revealed. Maybe in time...

MosportGreen66 06-25-2006 05:15 PM

If you know where the vehicles are, surrender the location and theif's name to the Police and let them take care of it.
Isn't that the best way to handle this situation? https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/dunno.gif

Verne_Frantz 06-25-2006 07:33 PM

Perry,
I just had a thought. Since the cars are now stolen and a felony investigation is in progress, the investigating officer can contact the NCIB with the VINs of the Corvettes. That will produce (at least) the original selling DEALER of the cars. It won't help recover the cars but I recall Larry was very interested in uncovering the history of the cars. In his honor, it certainly would be nice to pursue that information.

Verne

Mr70 06-25-2006 07:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing Verne..

Xplantdad 06-25-2006 07:51 PM

GREAT idea Verne! https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...lins/beers.gif

Verne_Frantz 06-25-2006 08:09 PM

I believe someone also suggested sending the VINs to Joel Rosen, which I think is a superb idea. Not to ask for documentation, but perhaps someone in the future may send him the same VINs for validation. Then the trap will snap shut on the rat.

Verne

55chevy 06-26-2006 03:40 AM

As Perry said.. Some of the titles have been recovered.. but the cars are still gone.. pray they stay in one piece to be either surrendered ..or recovered .. Hopefully before too much time passes.. I am as livid as Perry on this.. I've witnesses Larrys dually and van myself.. just as Perry described.. We made the rounds yesterday and everything else Larry had seemed unmolested.. Let's hope it stays that way.

55chevy 06-26-2006 03:47 AM

BTW... If any person or persons involved in the disappearance of these specific cars or knows of their current whereabouts is monitoring this board ... The reason you are starting to sweat so much now.. is because the heat's comin. https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...mlins/grin.gif And hell's comin with it. https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/imag...s/headbang.gif

Mr. T 06-26-2006 04:02 AM

Sent you an email Perry.

poolhustler 06-26-2006 04:50 AM

I don't understand.........

If the identity and location of the theif is KNOWN and the location of the vehicles is KNOWN, why can't the LEO's wrap this up pretty quickly???

Can someone please enlighten me!

Thanks,

Russ...