The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   No Going Back now. 70 LT-1 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178525)

Too Many Projects 04-08-2024 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1647600)
You and Lynn aren't alone Mitch...I'm on the home stretch of a "body off" and have another one waiting in the queue. Time in the shop keeps me young. - Bill W

I have another waiting also. I tell myself the shop "exercises" keep me young too, but the body complains in the evenings...:tongue:

Lynn 04-08-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1647600)
You and Lynn aren't alone Mitch...I'm on the home stretch of a "body off" and have another one waiting in the queue. Time in the shop keeps me young. - Bill W

I agree Bill.

Lynn 04-12-2024 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was shocked to learn that all of the body mount bushings are solid aluminum. I learned that before removing the body, so at least I wasn't surprosed.

Using a mic, they don't seem to be the same sizes. But.... most of them are corroded and swollen.

Were they all the same size or was there some procedure to determine how thick if a bushing to use at each mount? Forgive me if this is in the Assembly Manual. I have one, but it is down at the shop right now. Too lazy to go look.

Also, because the body was not built by Fischer, the Assy Manual is about four times the size of the Camaro AIM!!!!

Next question: is it simply anathema to use hard rubber bushings instead of aluminum? Seems like the aluminum would contribute to squeaks and rattles. You know, the Opel GT of the 60s and the C3 were designed by the same guy. I am shocked every time I drive them back to back how much more solid the Opel feels than the Corvette. That is sad.

Oldss 04-13-2024 12:46 AM

Lynn,
Would just the size and weight of the Corvette vs. the Opel alone make it feel that much more stiff?? Never driven an Opel, but the pic shows a big difference in size.

LT1vette 04-13-2024 02:49 AM

Were they all the same size or was there some procedure to determine how thick if a bushing to use at each mount? Forgive me if this is in the Assembly Manual. I have one, but it is down at the shop right now. Too lazy to go look.

Not an easy task you are getting yourself into. There are shims at each body mount. When you remove the body mount, DON"T lose the shims. Record and count each position. The same amount will have to go back in the same spot when you install the body back on the frame..

Lynn 04-13-2024 03:16 AM

I have them each marked. Some are incomplete.

When I hear "shims" I think of alignment shims. These are all like large thick washers; maybe 3/8 inch thick. Will post pics Sunday night. Have a work day at the Museum tomorrow.

Lynn 04-13-2024 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldss (Post 1647806)
Lynn,
Would just the size and weight of the Corvette vs. the Opel alone make it feel that much more stiff?? Never driven an Opel, but the pic shows a big difference in size.

I am sure size has something to do with it. But the similarity is only in the skin. The Opel is unibody.

LT1vette 04-13-2024 03:41 AM

They are washers, not ALL the same thickness sometimes.

markjohnson 04-13-2024 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It’s always fascinated me that the 350/370 LT1 was $158 more expensive than the 454/390 LS5 motor. Chevrolet was certainly proud of that screaming little Mouse motor! It’s also interesting to note that Chevrolet waited until the 4th model year of the 350 SBC’s production before they finally stabbed a solid lifter camshaft in it along with that beautiful aluminum intake manifold & Holley, etc. to create a max effort small block Chevy. I may love the BBC (jokes aside!) but I also have a soft spot in my heart for LT1’s and their L79 little brothers.

Lynn 04-13-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT1vette (Post 1647811)
They are washers, not ALL the same thickness sometimes.

That is what I thought. I don't know how they determined what thickness went where. I am guessing the frames were pretty consistent but the bodies were not so consistent.

This frame has enough rust on it that I am not planning to repair it. I have a donor rust free frame that I have already stripped down. One little area needs attention, but zero rust. All the caged nuts (and the cages) are in great shape. Just need to chase threads.

Found this post on the Corvette forum (see post #5).
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...unt-shims.html