The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   1966 Yenko Stinger for sale (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71352)

Stefano 10-08-2002 10:01 PM

Re: 1966 Yenko Stinger for sale

Rob,
We have found eight Douglass Yenkos, a few of these are needing restoration.

The quote from September of 1969 would be fresh in his mind, as opposed to an interview in 1987. Don's numbers happen to be very close to Jack's. If Don wanted to embelish he could have done better than 22 as Douglass Chevrolet out sold Yenko Chevrolet in total retail volume by a substantial margin.

What estate Document pegs Yenko Deuce Production at 350 or even Camaros at 500. These would be very significant documents if they indeed do exist.

I would agree with you that Don was known for invoking a bit of creative licence to obtain a desired outcome.

Chevy454 10-08-2002 10:09 PM

The exact same document that mentions the Douglass connection mentions the inflated build counts (500 & 350) of the other cars...I believe he gives a wildly high number for the Corvairs as well, but I have slept since I read the thing. If dad ever gets a second to sit down and post (we are swamped at work) then he could give some more details from the document. We have several documents, addressed to such people as the NHRA, AHRA, FIA, magazines, etc., where Don seemingly picked large numbers out of the air, for whatever reason.

So, did Jack order his batch of cars with the sole purpose of adding the stripes/emblems, or did this come about later for one reason or another?

shor 10-08-2002 10:09 PM

Marlin, you talk about one chance to buy a Yenko supercar...

69 Copo Camaro's are going for mid 80's today.(restored)price/ blasco car (guestimate
69 Yenko Camaro's (cannonsburg) 120 to 150 The best unrestored example(Brian/ Kevin) just traded bet. 160 and 200(guestimate)
69 Douglass Yenko ??? What's it worth to you Marlin?

Mr70 10-08-2002 10:11 PM

Where is Tom?
I read where Rob said he was in Indy,but it sure would be interesting to read if he has any other Letters or bulletins to ad to this debate.

Stefano
I look forward to attending the Mecum auction Nov.2nd.
Not so much about this Douglass/Copo/Yenko Camaro,but to look over Charlies LS-6 Convert.There is at least one more Triple black M-22,ZL-2,LS-6,Ragtop out there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stefano 10-08-2002 10:26 PM

Marlin,
I was using an euphemisum. Yeah your real, a real pain in the *&&. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What about Corpotate Books from Yenko Sports Cars Inc. or Yenko Chevrolet they could have special notations in the Corportate minutes as well as document the cash flow from Douglass to Yenko.

Do these books exist?

shor 10-08-2002 10:30 PM

Stefano 10-08-2002 10:35 PM

I have my sources and the have spotted Tom at a convention not to far (2 hours drive in a Douglass Yenko)from the Old Douglass Chevrolet [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

copolocater 10-08-2002 10:39 PM

If I worked in the parts department I might remember having to ship 20 or so stripe kits,badges etc.they might know of the relasionship ?Any one we could ask?What about John Connelly he used to work there he might have knowledge?Warren's another good one.Just some leads.Stephano carpal tunnel yet? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stefano 10-08-2002 10:59 PM

Rob,
Jack was upset with the fact that Don Yenko had lead him to believe that in order to obtain one of the Yenko cars you had to go through him. No, Marlin it is not in writing anywhere.

Jack says that Don didn't come out and say it that direct but it was implied.

There were substantial floor plan and allocation credits which Don kept for his own dealership by passing the cars through Cannonsberg.

It was Jack's Discovery of the "Shippers" Which included both COPO order numbers which lead Jack to call GM direct.

Jack was in full Support of the Yenko Sports Car marketing Campaign and wanted to get back some of the business he had been loosing to Nickey Chevrolet.

He always intended to sell the cars as Yenkos.

The Yenko name meant more to Jack as a Roadracer than possibly to any of the eventual Douglass Yenko Buyers.

Jack had every intent to capitalize on the Yenko package which is why he agreed to take two truck loads of Yenkos and was one of the very first dealers to receive a shipment.

If Don hadn't left the shippers in two of the Camaros we would not be having this discusion.

JoeC 10-08-2002 10:59 PM

Where did Ed C. get the list of vin numbers for the Douglas cars? Ed states that one car may not have had the Yenko stripes but if Yenko sold 22 stripe kits and there was 25 cars maybe 3 did not get Yenko stripes. If this is true, which cars did not get the stripes? If you have a Yenko striped Douglas car and you dig into the history of it and find the original owner who says it never had Yenko stripes - it could be an unfortunate situation if the car was purchased at a Yenko price.